Cannot share fiels or printer - Why?

1st PC - Windows Vista 2nd PC - Windows XP Network stuff - Belkin wireless-g router connected to the XP PC, Belkin network card in Vista PC

Issue:

Just installed everything I thought I needed for a wireless home network and it connected to the internet fine (I can surf on both computers).

However, what I really wanted t do was to:

1) Share files/folders etc 2) Share a printer (currently got a Canon Multi-function laser printer connected to the XP PC as a normal non-network printer)

I cannot for the life of me get these two items above to happen. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Glenn

Reply to
gmskelton
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Guy Gervais

Vista makes it extremely easy to network with other computers. Do you have file and print sharing enabled on both PCs? If so, check your software firewall settings, if one is installed. That is usually the culprit. Also, you might try a couple of reboots on both PCs.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

That is an untrue statement. File and print sharing can be accomplished while ZoneAlarm is installed and running on one's PC. Depending on your configuration, you might have to place your networked PCs in ZoneAlarm's trusted zone.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

That is true. I turned Zonealarm off and lo and behold I could see my Windows Vista PC. I know that ZA was the problem on that side, now how do I add this to the trusted zone so I can keep ZA running?

I am having real trouble sharing files and drives from my XP PC to my Vista PC. No matter what settings I give, nothing works. I know I have shared my hard drives correctly as they have a little hand under them in windows explorer but I cannot for the life of me get the Vista PC to see them. I don't even know at which end the problem lies.

Reply to
gmskelton

Not knowing which version of ZA you are running and whether you are running with DHCP or Static addresses means I can't really tell you. I run an old version ZA Pro on one machine and if you look at the main page there is a help icon at the top of the page, if you click on it and then do a search for "adding to trusted zone" it will give you several options. Adding an IP is not really suitable if you are using DHCP as that address could change. Since you wish to do sharing you also need to go to the main firewall page and move the tab in the "Trusted Zone Security" to "Med.". NB. This is based on using ZAPro 5.5.094.000.

Suggest you have a read of this with regards to Vista file sharing.

formatting link

Reply to
kev

Thats not true - you just need to configure it properly...

ZA will automagically detect your local network and can be told to allow file/printer sharing.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

(and a printer)

Probably a permissions problem. Set up the exact same user accounts on both machines, with the same passwords, and you may find it works.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 15:32:05 +0000, Mark McIntyre wrote in :

Also make sure both machines are in the same workgroup.

Reply to
John Navas

As I stated in my previous post, file and print sharing can be accomplished while having ZA installed and operating. Kev, Mr. McIntyre and Mr. Navas added very good pointers to help you diagnose your specific situation. If you haven't already done so, I recommend you follow Mr. Navas' advice first and make sure that all of your would-be networked computers are all in the same workgroup.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.