Can Wireless Adapters Conflict?

Here's my equipment:

NetGear MR814 Router

1 PC with EDIMAX Wireless USB Ethernet Adapter 1 PC with GigaFast Wireless USB Ethernet Adapter 1 PC with NetGear Wireless Ethernet Adapter

All are 802.11(b). I am using 128-bit WEP.

I have noticed that with only one wireless USB adapter active, the wireless connection is a stable as a cable.

I start a second wireless connection, eventually one or both connections will drop and not re-connect. Usually, I have to pull the power cable on the router for either one of the two wireless adapater to connect again.

I have never gotten a third wireless connection to connect.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior with wireless networking?

Reply to
bogstonkott
Loading thread data ...

With USB, wireless adapters do not do the connection thing. It's done by the driver software in the computah. It's possible to have duplicated the MAC address or IP address of an adapter in the configuration. If you've setup static IP addresses for the wireless devices, then it's highly likely. The MAC addresses used are the ones in the registry, not on the USB device, and can accidentally be duplicated, usually by cloning a hard drive.

Dive into the various utilities and the MR814 status page and see if there's any duplication by trying each adapter, one at a time. Run: ipconfig /all | more to also check for duplicated MAC's and IP's.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The easiest thing might be to look at your routers connection log and see if there are any errors being reported when trying to connect clients. This can be a great troubleshooting tool.

Robert...

Reply to
DLink Guru

What channels are networks #1, #2, and #3 on? If they're on the same channel (i.a. all on channel 6), try changing one of them, then change a second.

Seems like most of the wifi equipment I've installed for people is on channel 1, 6, or 11.

Reply to
Bill Evans

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.