Can I communicate with user of my open WiFi router?

I have a wireless router which I keep open. I have plenty of bandwidth with my ISP so I don't mind allowing iTouches/iPhones and local computers to use my connection.

I have noticed a couple regulars though who use my connection every day. I have their client name and their MAC addresses. Is there anyway for me to communicate with these users? Like if they live next door, it would be nice to see if I could get them to pitch in towards my ISP bill.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Rocket21
Loading thread data ...

No easy way. The one thing you could do is setup a redirect page for web requests. Ask them to reply on it.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 10:05:54 -0500, Rocket21 wrote in :

That could be short-sighted. Allowing someone on your wireless makes it possible for them to try to compromise your computer, or to use your wireless in ways that could get you in serious trouble.

Change your SSID to something that shows your willingness to share, like "Call [your phone number] for wireless access", and then turn on WPA with a strong passphrase so they have to call you to get on your wireless. Better yet uses WPA Enterprise, so you can give unique credentials to each user.

Reply to
John Navas

Not sure if this situation is quite legit or not. But if they had a network printer, and you can access it, then send them a letter! 8^) Interesting if you could send them a POP-UP window or IM! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Possibly, there is a "feature", lets call it a thing, in most windows systems called network messaging.... If the user hasn't blocked it (spammers sometimes use it now), look for a program callled "KIll the messanger", in the what it does and why you need it, it will tell you all about it.....

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.