I can get a little wifi singal, but...

I live in an area where boradband is almost impossible without spending a fortune on sat dish internet. A business nearby has a wireless signal but, it is somewhat weak. I spoke to the company and they said I can do whatever I want on my end but, they won't add or do anything on their end. Anyway, I want to use the wifi on my laptop (only computer) but, I dont want to sit in one corner of my house to get it. Any ideas on how to boost signal on my end?

thank you!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
utoypia
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:54:10 -0500, utoypia wrote in :

Hawking HWU8DD Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Dish Adapter

formatting link

Reply to
John Navas

A two-radio repeater (my own term) setup is the more complex and expensive solution but gives you more thorough coverage inside your house.

1) A wireless ethernet bridge connects to the nearby business using a good antenna with optimal placement towards the business.

2) Then, a wireless access point connects to your bridge via ethernet.

Place it in a central spot in your house.

Voila, you have wireless around your house from your own Access Point.

Whether you go with the simple and cheaper USB adapter or the two radio solution depends on how weak the signal is, how many pcs you want to connect and how much you need/want to connect from other parts of your house.

If you just need to get one pc connected a little bit further from that corner, then the suggested USB adapter with a USB extension might do the trick. Passive USB extensions can be up to 15' long.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 07:46:25 -0800 (PST), seaweedsteve wrote in :

You're missing the point that the USB solution has a built-in high-gain antenna, and may not need any extension cables. (You shouldn't presume to interpret the advice of others.)

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.