When to use an access point?

Yes.

I'm not sure where you're looking, but there's no software required specifically to use a Linksys wireless access point or router. There are drivers for wireless cards and devices that plug into your laptop, but nothing unique to talk to the router.

The terminology isn't perfect, but good enough.

You have three choices:

Plan A. A wireless access point such as a WAP54G. A CAT5 cable goes between the WAP54G and your BEFSR41 router. Configure the router with an SSID and encryption key, and you're done with the access point. Of course, you have to setup some kind of wireless device on your laptop and give it the same SSID and encryption key.

Plan B. You can purchase a wireless router and *REPLACE* your BEFSR41 router. A good choice would be a WRT54G. The configuration of the wireless router is very similar to the BEFSR41. I believe that all the features of the BEFSR41 are also in the WRT54G. Cost of the WRT54G wireless router is about the same as the WAP54G access point.

Plan C. If you insist that you retain your BEFSR41, then you can also use a WRT54G wireless router as an access point by simply ignoring the router section. You will need to:

1. Setup the IP address of the WRT54G so that it doesn't duplicate your BEFSR41. For example, if your BEFSR41 is at 192.168.1.1, then the WRT54G should be configured to 192.168.1.2.
  2. Disable the LAN side DHCP server. The DHCP server in the BEFSR41 will take care of assigning IP addresses.
  3. The WAN port of the WRT54G goes nowhere. This effectively disables the router section of the WRT54G.
  4. Run a CAT5 cable between a LAN port on the BEFSR41 and a LAN port on the WRT54G. Be sure to use the cross-over connector on one end.

Personally, I would suggest you purchase a wireless router such as a WRT54G and select either Plan B for simplicity, or Plan C to preserve your existing router.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I have a wired Linksys BEFsr4100 (4 ports) with which I've been very happy for several years. I've no desire to replace it. I use it for my desktop.

At the moment, I plug in a second cat 5 cable when I want to use my portable, which is pretty rare. But - this keeps me tethered to the router.

I will be having guests, bringing their own portable and I would like to be able to set them up in an adjoing room, rather than having them in close proximity to me because they are wired to the router.

I've no desire to "network" machines - prefer not to have printer and file sharing, or anything else, other than a second internet connection.

Would an access point plugged into the router do what I want?

I looked at the Linksys site and they talk about installing their software to network computers. I just want to make a second internet connection available.

What do I want to do and what is the correct terminology? Do I want to "network" machines even though I don't want them to share anyhting?

TIA

Louise

Reply to
Louise

Run a network cable to the other room.

Barry ===== Home page

formatting link

Reply to
Barry OGrady

thanks for the detailed instructions. I'm not sure which plan I will choose, but your outlines will no doubt be extremely helpful.

Louise

Reply to
Louise

Jeff, I have been struggling with the same issue. Plan C seems to fit my situation exactly. I note the suggestion of a crossover cable. Would I be able to use a straight through cable but use the WAN port on the WRT54G (access point only). I will setup the WRT54G as a router and not as a gateway in the advanced settings of the setup tab. I have a wireless Belkin router setup as my router with one computer wired to it. The Linksys will be a wireless access point (same SSID on both, one with channel 1 and the other channel 11, both with the same WEP keys) and it has one computer hard wired as well as a VOIP adapter. 3rd and 4th computers will connect wirelessly. btw, your responses to many are very helpful to this viewer.

Reply to
Alan White

I think that will work. Most wireless routers have an MDI/MDXI connector or switch to deal with the crossover. However, most wirless access points only have one connector and no switch. I just included the note on the crossover cable just in case the MDXI port is already in use, or missing.

Nope. If you're using the WRT54G as an access point, you can set the router configuration to literally any settings you find interesting. As long as the WAN port is not used, the entire router section is effectively disabled. It doesn't matter if it's a router or gateway.

That will work. Different channels are probably a must to prevent mutual interference. Everything else (SSID, WEP) should be the same. If you run into a problem "roaming", where a moving client seems to remain glued to one or the other access point, and refuses to switch by itself, you might want to use different SSID's. That will give you some manual control over which access point you're using. Roaming will not be automatic, but that's a small price to pay for control.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.