Bridge wifi and lan connection?

Hello all.. I temporarily am without my DSL (about 2 weeks). I have a laptop with 802.11 and a neighbor kindly willing to let me on his wifi network. I'd like to bridge my WiFi connection to my desktop.

At my hohuse I have a netgear wireless / wired router, 192.168.1.XX IP, 255.255.255.0 subnet mask. The wifi is 192.168.0.XX IP's. I bridged the two connections on my laptop, and then went into the bridge TCP/IP properties, added both IP addresses (the IP assigned by the wifi and the ethernet network, and added both gateways (TCP/IP, properties, Advanced). The only thing I can think of is Windows doesnt know that say the gateway for 192.168.1.3 IP is 192.168.1.66 v.s. the other gateway. Am I going about this the right way? Will this work for getting my desktop on the internet?

Thanks.

Evan

Reply to
Evan Platt
Loading thread data ...

Ahh.. That's not too useful now. :)

We both run a Netgear Wired/wireless router.

I don't think there's a way to configure a WiFi router to connect to another WiFi router, is there?

Reply to
Evan Platt

No I don't think so! What the laptop bridging is for is so 2 connectors can use the same info WITHIN the laptop. You need to setup the router so it can recieve the data from the neighbors system then you connect to your router just like always. Is your neightbors router wireless? If so then just set your router to connect to his, either as an AP or thru a bridge and then you will be able to connect just fine. You need to focus on the router to router connection and stay away from individual machines. In 2 weeks you will have to reconfigure the whole thing back to what it was anyway!

Reply to
f/fgeorge

Sorry if I wasn't clear - the routers are physically seperated. I have the DSL at my house out for about two weeks. My neighbor about half a block has a WiFi router - the above link talks about PHYSICALLY connecting two routers - I'd somehow need to have my router connect (via 802.11) to his router.

Sounds like what I want to accomplish isn't physically possible. :(

Thanks though.

Evan

Reply to
Evan Platt

Look here Shortcut to:

formatting link

Reply to
f/fgeorge

Reply to
cjtwantstoknow

Evan Platt wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

So you can make this conection to the other person's wireless network with the laptop and gain acess to the Internet?

Does the laptop have a ethernet card in it too?

If you have the above situation you might be able to use ICS on the wireless NIC.

You could then configure your Netgear router to be a switch by disabling the DHCP server, which would turn the router into a wire/WAP switch and plug it into the ethernet connection on the laptop.

Then you can plug your desktop into the Netgear. The laptop if it's a NT based O/S should become a DHCP server and provide the IP(s) for the LAN.

You may have to configure the router/switch to use a static IP on the gateway laptop or you might be able to let it obtain an IP from the laptop. The desktop computer would get an IP from the DHCP server on the laptop.

I don't see why that wouldn't work for you.

It's a shot in trying to help.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Mini-rant: Is there some reason why you've failed to disclose the model number of the Netgear router? All routers are not created equal and have varying features. Some of these features might actually be useful for what you're doing.

Maybe. Some possiblities:

1. Do both your unspecified model Netgear routers support WDS (wireless distribution service)? Two routers can be made to communicate with WDS. Both routers will need to be configured to do this. Unfortunately, only a few Netgear routers/access points will do WDS such as the Prosafe Series WG302, WG102, WGT624, FWG114, etc.

1. Duz your unspecified model Netgear router have a "client mode"? If so, you can temporarily turn your router into a client radio, and connect exactly one computah to your neighbors wireless router. No changes required at the neighbors end.

I suspect you don't wanna spend money just to do this for 2 weeks. However, if you can find an ethernet wireless bridge or client radio (WAP11, WRT54G with Alchemy firmware, WAP54G, WET11, DWL900AP+, etc), you can use it to connect to the neighbors in client mode. One way is to just plug it into your existing unspecified model Netgear router and it will handle multiple computers via double NAT. However, if you only have one computah, just plug the computah into the client radio and ignore your existing router. Of course, you could also buy a client radio for your unspecified computers and connect to the neighbors directly.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.