Boosting WiFi Signal

Hey! I have WiFi Signals (Strength 35%) coming right till my window. The moment windows is closed, the signals are gone.

I would like to know how can I boost my wifi signals..

Thanks in advance Vibhu

Reply to
Vibhu
Loading thread data ...

"Vibhu" hath wroth:

Huh?

I'll assume that the window has some type of aluminized mylar coating, which is blocking the signal. If you can remove this coating, the signal should go through the window. If the window does NOT have a aluminized mylar coating, then the location of your test radio is not ideal for passing the signal through the window. If possible, try to relocated it. If not possible, attach an external antenna to the test radio, drill a hole in the wall somewhere, pass the coax cable through the wall, and attach an external antenna.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Signal strength is not always a good indicator of connection possibilities. On channel 6 it's hard to tell what may be the source, etc. I frequently connect to APs around the country which show nothing at all. For that matter when the text readout says "unable to connect" etc. try it anyway. And, by just moving your antenna (USB on cable) just a couple of millimeters the situation may improve. On weak or strong signals a strong reflected signal may not be as worthwhile as a direct almost zero signal..Even 100% may not do the job in some cases. It might not even be Wi-Fi or a distorted reflection. I always open windows when possible, but be sure that the screen is not wire mesh of some kind. My opinion FWIW..Luck!!!

Reply to
Jack Daniels

Signal strength is not always a good indicator of connection possibilities. On channel 6 it's hard to tell what may be the source, etc. I frequently connect to APs around the country which show nothing at all. For that matter when the text readout says "unable to connect" etc. try it anyway. And, by just moving your antenna (USB on cable) just a couple of millimeters the situation may improve. On weak or strong signals a strong reflected signal may not be as worthwhile as a direct almost zero signal..Even 100% may not do the job in some cases. It might not even be Wi-Fi or a distorted reflection. I always open windows when possible, but be sure that the screen is not wire mesh of some kind. My opinion FWIW..Luck!!!

Reply to
Jack Daniels

Reply to
Jack Daniels

Reply to
Vibhu

No. Repeaters and "range extenders" as usually stand alone devices that run on AC power (through a wall wart). I don't know of any that will run off of USB. However, if the power consumption is fairly low, and it can run on the 5VDC 1A that a USB jack can supply, then you might be able to kludge something.

Is that a questions? If it is, then the answer is no. I'm not a big fan of "range extenders" whether powered by AC, solar, or USB.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
Vibhu

"Vibhu" hath wroth:

No recommendation. I hate them all.

The problem is compatibility with the existing router you're trying to use. Mixtures of chipsets usually doesn't work (although there have been reports of success with different chipsets). Find out what make and model router you're trying to connect to, and dive into the manufacturers web pile until you find a "range extender" or "repeater" that's compatible.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Don't overlook the above suggestion of an external antenna with a clear shot to the source of the signal. There are cheap ones with good gain, homemade. Should really help.

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.