Boosting Signal

Hey, i need some advice if you dont mind. I think the problem is that the signal strength is just not powerful enough, as i can connect to the network when the computer starts but if it drops out then i cant re-connect unless i restart, also im running at 54 mbps (should have a

108 mbps pci) but this can drop to 1mbps, with a signal strength of 30% to 12% (1 to 2 bars on the microsoft bar thing). Im also recieving more than 3 times what im sending.

So i was thinking if i upgraded the antenna on the router to something like this; 'Maplin > Compact High Gain Directional Corner Antenna for Wireless Networks'

formatting link
and on my computer use the same one or something like; 'Maplin > Wireless Network Omni Antenna 10dBi'
formatting link
But would this solve the problem and boost the speed to 108 mbps and boost the signal, as i would like to play on computer games online (counter strike etc.) And i dont want to waste aload of money and then find ill just need to use a wire and wire it into the router (LAN??).

Any advice or help would be very appericated.

Cheers Phil

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
fredrickmore
Loading thread data ...

If you have some signal, a simple reflector on the router might make things very good. You don't say what kind of computer, or WiFi card/adapter you are using, but you might put a reflector there as well. If you have a PCI card in a desktop, try to have the antenna on the router side of the desktop, even if that means facing the computer in an awkward direction, so the desktop itself isn't blocking signal.

formatting link
EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock, with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in signal.
formatting link
The netstumbler trace shows solid signal as I walked back to the router, a dropout as I blocked the router, taking off the reflector, and then the lower signal without the reflector, reduced, and fluctuating in level.

Make the tabs longer than the template drawing, for easier assembly.

Reply to
dold

Says it has an SMA connector. You'll need to get an SMA to Reverse SMA adapter.

Reply to
DTC

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.