Belkin Cable/DSL Gateway Router 802.11b need the best Wireless card

Another severe case of "fear of numbers". Any reason why you didn't supply model numbers, or do you believe that Belkin and Dell only make one model router and laptop?

No, you don't need to buy everything from one manufactory. That's what standards like 802.11b are all about. Anything with 802.11b scribbled on the package should work.

If your "new" Dell P4 Notebook really is new, then one of the stock wireless card would probably be the "best" choice. See:

formatting link
can get any of these for $20-$45 on eBay or from Dell. Make sure your "new" Dell P4 has a place to insert it (inside) and that it has the corresponding antenna connector from the display section, nearby.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I have a Belkin Cable/DSL Gateway Router 802.11b. 3 PCs and a new Dell P4 Notebook.

What Wireless card should I buy for the Dell Notebook? Is it necessary to use a Belkin wireless card that is 802.11b?

Reply to
Linda Lopez

You can buy a 802.11b card or an 802.11G card, If you think you might upgrade your router to a G later I would buy a G card. G will talk to B and G. I would buy whatever brand your local stores carry, give it a try and if it dont work take it back, A "WiFi certified" card should work.

Reply to
Airhead

I agree that any wifi certified card 'should' work. But if possible, I think buying from the same company makes life easier, particularly for the less experienced. When you call for tech support when you have a DLink router and a Belkin card, which one do you call - and it's always the other one that is causing the problem.

And some features on some products only work with both components from the same company. Like super G etc.

Reply to
Alan White

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.