avg and sygate - avg update blocked?

I am running avg anti-virus 7.0.308, and sygate personal firewall 5.6 on a windows XP SP2 system.

Generally everything works OK, but when I attempt to update the AVG anti-virus via its update utility it never connects... but ifg I disable the firewall briefly the update works fine.

I have clicked on the "remember" and "yes" selections when prmpted about AVG originally, and indeed the sygate applications page indicates that the following are configured amongst others

avg basic interface avg control centre avg email scanner avg update downloader

all as Allow

what have I misconfigured? any ideas?

cheers in advance

ian

Reply to
didds
Loading thread data ...

For AVG7 updates to work internet access has to be given to: avgcc.exe avginet.exe

Reply to
Connected

The only time that this has happened to me was when Internet Explorer was prevented from access to the internet. I was using AVG 6 on windows 98. It seemed that AVG 6 needed access through IE.

Ted

Reply to
Ted B

I don't know about Sygate, but I run avg7 with ZoneAlarmfree and Tiny firewalls--what I have noticed lately is that when avg updates they are pretty large, and afterward I get asked for permissions to allow "new" email scanners, and other avg features avg as .exe files, which I allow and move on.

If the avg updates are significantly different from the old, maybe they are not getting the required permissions under your setup? Just a thought.

Reply to
Jesse

I believe several of those files may have been replaced during the last avg update, which was large. The reason I think so is I kept getting requests for permission from Tiny firewall to allow them to "replace" them as it installed. Maybe it is just luck that Tiny has this feature, and maybe they went straight through to install them on yours..

What I am getting at is the files you are allowing in your firewall may in some way be obsolete. I would try deleting them and re-adding them, which may be the new version. Then reboot and see if it took. Jesse

Reply to
Jesse

In my FW, (it's not SFW) I give "access to network" at files: avgcc.exe, avgamsvr.exe, avgupsvc.exe, avgemc.exe, avginet.exe and "outbound connection" at avgemc.exe and avginet.exe.

"didds" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Lobo

He already allows those--avginet.exe and avg update downloader are one and the same. Jesse

Reply to
Jesse

I don't know what the issue is then because I use Sygate and I only allow those two AVG files access and my AVG updates work fine.

Reply to
Connected

Sygate does that too.

Reply to
Connected

I have both checked. But, interestingly, when I checked for AVG updates a few minutes ago, the connection was soon closed. I turned off SPF, checked again, and the download started almost immediately.

Coincidence?

Reply to
Iceman

As I said in an earlier post, my theory is that avg's latest updates are actually de facto replacements for these files. These may not have permission under the old avg.exes that are allowed in ZA and Sygate. You turn it off, it lets them in to replace the old and you're good to go.

In the case where the changes were made without your knowledge and you are still open, the FW may have to shut down and then when it opens it gets the new instead of the old, which may then be obsolete. Maybe if you shut down the FW and re-open it, it re-opens with the replacements in effect.

It just so happened that Tiny Firewall IDed them as "replacements" and asked for the permission to change them-- which me aware that they are in fact replacing these files with this update rather than making simple changes. Does that make sense?

I have Tiny and ZA, and get asked for permission on virtually everything that comes and goes, or wishes to affect the register, and informs me of what the files are trying to accomplish on my PC. I like that--feels safer that way.

Reply to
Jesse

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.