Anything I should know about wireless ISP's ?

Have you looked into Sat?

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

I keep hearing that, but wonder what the actual times are (not just lag, which will tend to favor terrestial sources). When I look at ping times (round trip), they seem about the same. I have sat in the RV, and works pretty well in many places the cell connection won't even work. When on cell, I just call direct, but when on the internet with cell, boucing from website to website, I find sat faster. Just curious how that would effect voice, and with the current slew of Direcway commercials on TV (and the drop in price for monthly service), wonder how that compared.

Just out of curiosity, are you considering a netwrok (wired or wireless)? I have heard the new cards/software from verizon don't share over networks.

Maybe I'm thinking incorrectly, but it almost seems like verizon is trying to shoot itself in the foot, so people have to use their cellphones, rather than networked internet and cheap VoIP.

JohnF wrote:

Reply to
Peter Pan

Ask some of their present customers about speed/reliability. Like any other service, it can vary from one provider to another. But there is no real reason why it shouldn't be as good as or better than any other broadband service. That is, providing you are in an area they can cover with signal.

Reply to
Rôgêr

"Peter Pan" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

I think your right. My cell connect sits around 750ms where the direcway is around 1000, to most big sites (yahoo, msn, google, etc.).

The upload on the sat is shi++y though. VPN is pretty much unusable, and Terminal Services is ALMOST as bad...but usable....if that makes sense

smowk

Reply to
Smowk

We're moving our business to Phoenix and there is no cable or DSL service available to the address so I'm looking into wireless.

Anything I need to be aware of using wireless or any experiences good/bad? Providers? I'm talking to PhoenixInternet right now. Just basic high-speed service is all we presently need.

Thanks

JohnF

Reply to
JohnF

Thought about satellite but we may go to VoIP in the near future. Sat has too much lag at present.

JohnF

Reply to
JohnF

There were big changes made at DirecWay with regards to corporate VPN connections. Have you checked into that? I get the impression that you VPN connect to them, and they VPN connect to your site, so that each segment sees delay times that it can tolerate, instead of timing out like it used to. I don't know how well it works, or if it costs money. About the time I was going to sign up, cable internet appeared in my neighborhood.

Terminal Services is painful for anything that changes a glob of graphics at once, not just on satellite.

--

Reply to
dold

formatting link
like a service similar to Verizon BroadbandAccess, but terminating at a router instead of a PC card.

Reply to
dold

This is coming from someone with experience in the Wireless ISP business.

It really depends on your area. I know some customers that have almost NO downtime and speeds just as fast (if not faster) as regular highspeed. I even know some customers that had a steady 10Mbit connection with almost no downtime.

If you get a site survey done, ask the technicians what your signal strength is. It's all about the location, if there's any obstacles between you and their access point.

Reply to
Tom - www.tditcorp.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.