What should I know about SBC DSL?

I'm responsible for three (so far) SBC DSL accounts, mostly working through 2Wire "OfficePortal"-s . What should I know about their insecurity? Their 802.11g claims both WPA-PSK and 128-bit WEP; my initial instinct is that they're easily crackable. What documents should I read if I don't want random passerbys "sharing" my subnet? I also want management facilities such as traffic quantities; I'm guessing that's avail- able somehow, although I haven't yet located it. Do they truly not support SNMP? What's this marketing about "built-in firewall"; what's it doing, and why haven't I detected its interference yet?

SBC tech support has been cooperative and pleasant for retail-grade questions. I'm ambivalent about asking them anything more technical, and haven't yet done so.

Reply to
Cameron Laird
Loading thread data ...

You should consider posting your question at

formatting link
where you will find a bunch of people using that modem/router.

Reply to
Neil W Rickert

I'm responsible for three (so far) SBC DSL accounts, mostly working through 2Wire "OfficePortal"-s . What should I know about their insecurity? Their 802.11g claims both WPA-PSK and 128-bit WEP; my initial instinct is that they're easily crackable.

WPA is really hard to crack (and wasn't cracked before Nov '04). Although WEP can be cracked in 6 hours or less.

What documents should I read if I don't want random passerbys "sharing" my subnet? I also want management facilities such as traffic quantities; I'm guessing that's available somehow, although I haven't yet located it.

You mean like EtherReal? Which tells you who was talking to whom and when. And it is free too.

Do they truly not support SNMP?

I don't believe they do.

What's this marketing about "built-in firewall"; what's it doing, and why haven't I detected its interference yet?

It's quite good in my humble opinion. As the individual computer's software firewall doesn't see any attacks at all here. As it is all handled by the HomePortal.

SBC tech support has been cooperative and pleasant for retail-grade questions. I'm ambivalent about asking them anything more technical, and haven't yet done so.

Well tier 1 level is basically useless for tech questions.

Cheers!

___________________________________________ Bill (using a HP AMD 1.2GHZ & Windows 2000)

-- written and edited within Word 2000

Reply to
BillW50

Reply to
Carlos Rivera

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.