Antenna Location Question

I'd like to learn why sometimes moving a wireless adaptor's antenna by just a few inches can cause a significant performance difference.

Ex: Today SWMBO came down to my office (We both work in our own business' office.) complaining that internet access on the computer in her office was slower than molasses in January.

We use a Linksys WAP54G router to service the five computers in our business. Her computer has a Linksys WUSB54G adaptor plugged into it.

I gave her my usual reply that MY computer was connecting just fine and that she has so much junk and obsolete files stuffed in her computer that it probably needs an enema to get its performance back to where it used to be.

That strateguy didn't work, so I hauled my ass down to her office and had a look.

She was correct, internet access on her computer was awfully slow, even though none of the other computers in the office were in use then.

Her computer is the closest one to the router, only about 25 feet away with nothing more than a couple of drywall partitions in the way. The adaptor software reported excellent signal strength and I checked to make sure that the wireless channel we were using was still unoccupied by any of our neighbor's wireless systems.

To make a long story shorter and less boring, I solved problem by simply moving the wireless adaptor about four inches sideways on the bookshelf it sat on, and her computer instantly regained its usual internet access speed.

I understand how multipath signals can cause RF nulling, but I'd expect that the adaptor's software would report "poor signal strength" under those conditions. It's the "good signal" report combined with lousy performance that has my inquiring mind wondering what's really going on.

Thanks guys,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.