Adding a WiFi "receiver" in the barn (200 feet from the house) using spare Mikrotik radios

Would this work to add a receiver to the barn 200 feet from the house?

Here is a photo of the equipment I am trying to make good use of.

formatting link

This is mostly a question for guys like Dan Purgert or Jeff Liebermann who understand the Mikrotik equipment better than I do.

A neighbor switched from one WISP to another about a year ago, where the first WISP told him to keep the equipment, so the neighbor gave me this. [1] Mikrotik RB750 wired router [2] Mikrotik RB411 motherboard + 2GHz/5GHz R52n-m WiFi daughterboard [3] Associated antenna & pigtails & POE & power supplies & weatherproof box

Normally I turn all my spare transceiver radios into access points but this is professional CPE equipment which doesn't have a license to be an access point.

To make good use of the Mikrotik router and radio, I'm wondering if I can plug the router into the 120VAC outlet in the barn (which is about 200 feet away from the house), and then use a short Ethernet cable from this radio pointed at the house to pick up an access point from inside the house.

The range isn't in question because I can easily beam the access point in the house for a kilometer in good conditions so the question is really simply whether the setup works that way.

I've never set up a wireless receiver before so that's why I ask. I'm sure I could buy a dedicated wireless receiver but that's not the question here.

The question here is how to make good use of this free equipment by setting it up as a wireless receiver, so that I could plug in a laptop at the barn into the router when I want to.

Reply to
Tomos Davies
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.