Wireless headset for VoIP?

Hi

A friend of mine would like to use VoIP applications like Skype or X-Lite without being stuck in front of her computer. She wants something that would let her get further than the Bluetooth solutions typically alow (typically 6-10 feet, which is not far enough).

Anybody knows of a solution? Some kind of DECT-based USB key?

Thank you.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte
Loading thread data ...

I don't have the answer but I get more than 6-10 feet out of my bt headset. It is a Motorola Hxxx series if that helps.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Roberts

There are some Skype enabled DECT phones, Olympia is one make I recall. If she has got a router with ethernet port then an SIP based VoIP is better solution. Just get an ATA and any DECT phone, and it will work without the computer being on or even connected. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

Thanks for the pointer. The 6-10 feet thing is what I read in sales brochures, hence my looking at a longer-range solution.

So you got a H500 and the PC850 USB add-on to use Skype wirelessly?

formatting link

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

Mmm... So it would look like this: router -> ATA -> DECT base with RJ11 -> DECT headset. Looks like an interesting alternative to Motorola's ear-plug + USB combo at $99, but it's probably more expensive too.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

Vincent:

Shouldn't be, Linksys PAP2 (unlocked) and cheap(ish) DECT phone for $99 is I think possible. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

I'll take a look. Thanks for the idea.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

There was a similar thread here not long ago. See if you can get any additional ideas from there.

formatting link

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Thanks. Looks like the $50 + $50 solution to get a Bluetooth USB key + earset doesn't work too well, and I should get a $300 dollar solution from Plantronics instead.

Reply to
Vincent Delporte

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.