pc-to-pc voip: unsuccessful so far

I have been testing, as a newbie, some voip applications/providers. First, Skype on both Linux and Windows, and everything was working fine most of the time. Then I have been trying the SIP applications. Me and a friend of mine (in two different european locations, both with DSL) have registered first both with sipphone.com and then both on babble.net, using X-lite on both sides, or X-lite and Kphone, or Kphone and the babble software. And in all cases, although we were able to establish a phone connection, the voice quality was not enough good to have a conversation (we could hear some vocal sounds, but nothing else). In the case of babble it is pretty strange, as I am able to make phone call through it (using X-lite or Kphone, DSL or even an analog modem) to normal telephones. But I have never succeeded in making pc-to-pc calls. Can anybody suggest me how to solve this strange thing, or at least how to go in the right direction to solve it?

Reply to
Mark Smith
Loading thread data ...

Mark Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Do you or the receiving party have a router (i.e. Linksys router?). If so, you'll need to open some ports up to allow for incoming connections.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

99% sure not (100% sure on my side of the connection)
Reply to
Mark Smith

Start with a simple test using an ethernet without the Internet. A

cross-over cable, or a small hub/switch will do. Ignore SIP

registration, and just call to the phone number at the other IP

address (on your same subnet).

For example:

- First PC running softphone at extension 100 on IP 192.168.1.100

- Second PC running softphone at extension 101 on IP 192.168.1.101

- First PC calls sip:101@192.168.1.101

- Second PC should "ring"; then you answer, talk, hang-up

- Second PC calls sip:100@192.168.1.100

- First PC should "ring"; then you answer, talk, hang-up

Once you get the above running, then try fancy stuff like routing

across the internet. At least then you will know you have a base

level of function (and how good or bad your audio sounds :-).

HTH,

JDB

Reply to
JDBalogh

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.