can I connect Vonage/Linksys PAP2 to home phone wiring?

With the terrific local deal on the hardware (free with new Vonage account), I'm tempted to to jump into VoIP. However, I've got four phones in my house and I don't want to go down to just one.

Does the Linksys PAP2 allow you to connect into the telephone wiring block (disconnecting Bell's incoming lines) so that all my existing phones continue to work? That is, can I run a line (with a plug at one end and the four wires split out at the other) from the first PAP2 phone jack to the wiring block?

If not, what is the problem?

Sorry for such a newbie question, but we all start somewhere. :)

Reply to
Gary Dale
Loading thread data ...

Gary Dale wrote in news:5oSdnV74zog0zKrfRVn- snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Yes.

It works.

Only problem is that the REN (Ring Equivalence Number) is much lower on the PAP2 and may not support the number of phones in your house. To solve this problem, add up the REN of all the phones in your house and see if it's lower than the REN of the PAP2. Most modern phones use

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Thanks. Only problem I've got now is that Vonage apparently can't transfer my current number to their system. They say that it's "not available in Canada (yet)". This doesn't seem to prevent them from advertising it though!

Reply to
Gary Dale

Gary Dale wrote: ...

They can port some numbers but not all. Did they say "never"? If not, ask them WHEN they will be able to port it.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

Gary Dale wrote in news:kZudnZbhi83y5qXfRVn- snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

Number Portability is only advertised on Vonage.com... but not on Vonage.ca ; )

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Number portability is avalable in the US by government order - the LECs would NEVER have agreed to it unless forced...you'll have to go to the communications authority in Canada to get them to implement the rules. :-(

That said, I have Vonage working with all my home phones - 4 regular phones/base stations plugged into the device and all ring OK. It works treat.

Just be sure that you disconnect the lead from the TelCo at the interface box (or whatever it is you have up there in Canada) so that you don't blow your box if somehow dialtone gets back on that line. I disconnected the wire on the consumer side of my box, and put electrical tape over the jack AND the wire, plus a note saying NOT to connect it again.

-Stephen

Reply to
Stephen M. Adams

The REN capacity of the PAP2 is 5, the same load capability as a typical urban POTS line.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Whoops my mistake, the REN load of the PAP2 is actually 3 (equivalent to a rural POTS line). But that should still be plenty.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Not only is it probably plenty, but if you switch off the 'ring' then the REN drops to zero for that phone.

Reply to
Rick Merrill

The docs that came with my PAP2 says the REN is 5.

Reply to
Vox Humana

Ah, I was right the first time then. :) I could've sworn it was 5, but then not having the PAP2 right in front of me when I posted, I went to Amazon.com to check the specs, and they list it as 3.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

But it is advertised on the boxes they sell in the retail stores here. I talked with a Vonage customer support guy yesterday - at a local number

- who told me it would be available today, but it wasn't. :( And today I can't get through to their local support staff (all our lines are busy).

Reply to
Gary Dale

As Jerry Pournelle used to say "real soon now".

Reply to
Gary Dale

As Jerry Pournelle used to say "real soon now".

Reply to
Gary Dale

Gary Dale wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

REALLY? Hmmm, Vonage or Linksys must have just used the packaging from the US boxes. From what I've heard on Vonage-Forums.com, number portability won't be available in Canada for some time!

Reply to
Lucas Tam

These items move very quickly!

they are here now!

formatting link

formatting link
e=STRK:MESE:IT

formatting link
> e=STRK:MESE:IT

formatting link
> > e=STRK:MESE:IT

Reply to
Marc H.Popek

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.