how does DTMF security work?

Dear all,

I just learnt that VoIP also does DTMF. Since today security is a very important concern, I started wondering: how is DTMF secured?

A series of services, including banks, offer DTMF interfaces, which imply dialing pin codes and the like. This would fall in the 'sensitive information' category. Now, how is security implemented, both in normal lines and VoIP? How can one ascertain that a given line (bearing in mind that you might happen to be across the world, and your voice-induced signals will run through a number of networks till they reach the machine that makes the authentication) is secure?

With VoIP, it seems even more complex. What are the conditions for DTMF to be transmitted? I understand the softphone or other gear must generate the signals; then, the VoIP provider must be able to translate the signals to the public telephone line.

I suppose DTMF security could be related to voice comm security: if it is possible to encrypt the data entering the broadband line at the user location, then decrypt it at the receiver location (and vice-versa), then tone signals would be safe. But can this be implemented? And how would a regular telephone be able to do it?

Regards,

Renato

Reply to
renato.serodio
Loading thread data ...

Today, it's not.

Since DTMF is sent as part of the normal RTP stream for a call (though possibly with a different codec), it can be secured using SRTP just like the rest of the call media. Few if any vendors do this yet, though.

Regular phones have no security other than physical obstacles.

S
Reply to
Stephen Sprunk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.