Vonage caller ID freeware

the POTS telephone line, where it's sent while the telephone is ringing; the dialup modem is connected to the line, and can read and decode such information to pass it to the Phonetray application. As long as you have an ATA that converts VoIP calls (e.g., SIP INVITE messages) into rings + caller ID sent to a conventional analog telephone set, _and_ you connect the line from the ATA to the "line" connector of the modem and the "phone" connector to the telephone set, Phonetray should work as advertised. In fact, Phonetray won't even _know_ that the call originally arrived from the Internet and was converted by the ATA before being sent to the modem.

Of course, un theory one could also get the Caller ID directly from the SIP messages arriving from the Internet: but that would require a way to make those SIP messages available to the software replacing Phonetray (and, of course, would also require the existence of such software!). But the RT31P2 captures the SIP messages and uses them inside its built-in ATA, without ever giving the PC a chance of seeing them on its ethernet interface. This means that also the caller ID information never arrives to the computer, and therefore can't be used by any piece of software running there.

Enzo

Reply to
Enzo Michelangeli
Loading thread data ...

I have what I thought would be two VERY simple questions but after an EXHAUSTIVE search, I'm still in the dark. Any help would be IMMENSELY appreciated.

1) How can I go about getting an application such as Phonetray
formatting link
to work with Vonage WITHOUT having a dialup modem? In other words, is there ANY way to use my existing RT31P2 router to display/speak when I have an incoming call?

2) I would like to run a program every time I receive an incoming call. I thought I would be able to do this using SIP to detect the caller ID and some sort of batch script but am very much lost as to how to do it but can't imagine it would be that difficult.

I know this MUST be possible to do because the webpage has caller ID there. How are they doing it? Why is it that EVERYTHING I have found thus far tells me I must use a 56K modem??

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Jared Subman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.