Vonage and DSL basic

Anyone using Vonage on a basic or "lite" version of DSL (i.e. 128K)

Reply to
Canadian_eh!
Loading thread data ...

Should be fine if you set Vonage to reduce the upstream bandwidth. It will negatively impact your sound quality slightly, but it's not significant.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

I have Vonage set to 50kbs, the medium setting, and nobody notices they are talking on an internet phone.

Reply to
charlie3

I've had a few people ask if I'm on a cell (mostly because they're the type of person that would call back on a landline to avoid wasting cell minutes) when I was using lower quality, but it was never an issue.

I have plenty of upstream bandwidth, I was just trying it out for the sake of trying it out.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Vonage was great for me also sound-quality wise, most of the time, and I noticed only very minor differences between the bandwidth settings (most people I was speaking to noticed nothing different). My only pet peeve was the Motorola ATA; it never did QoS right, even if I had the unit first-in-line to my cable modem. If anything else on the network was downloading anything of substance, the audio would get choppy, and THEN people would start to ask if I was on a cell phone. This was on a 4Mbps downstream/1.5Mbps upstream connection, so I doubt the broadband connection was my problem.

I ended up switching to Packet8. The features aren't as refined and polished, but the service is good, and their ATA operates just fine behind my router even if I intentionally place a heavy traffic load on the network. Sound quality is about on par with Vonage at its low-bandwidth setting, but still useable and close enough to toll grade IMO. Again, people I talk to don't notice a difference.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

I have both my Cisco ATA and Motorola ATA behind my network firewall (Only the WAN port of the Motorola is connected) -- I have my own QoS which reserves approximately 100Kb of my 1024Kb for VoIP at all times, and offers port-based QoS so that above 100Kb, outbound traffic from the ATAs will be processed before any other traffic.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.