56K modem and Vonage

Anyone tried getting an analog modem to work over VoIP services like Vonage?

Reply to
Canadian_eh!
Loading thread data ...

Hello,

Yes, I some time ago I was making SIP calls while being on the dialup modem (no DSL in the new apartment!). Should work as long as you are using g729/g723 codecs, are not browsing web at the same time and your ISP has a decent connectivity.

WBR, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Zhilenko

I actually mean trying to establish a dialup connection across a high-speed VoIP service. i.e. dial into a server or remote device across the Vonage virtual circuit instead of a land line.

Reply to
Canadian_eh!

I've a TiVo DVR dialing out over a Vonage connection. It succeeds about 75% of the time, and only if I tell it to use a "lower" speed (no idea what the actual datarate is...)

Fonality has a TiVo friendly mode, but I've not tried it yet.

-jav

"Canadian_eh!" writes:

Reply to
Javier Henderson

I'm not sure what *99 does...

-jav

Reply to
Javier Henderson

Is this while using *99?

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Good info to have. I'll try that and see if the success rate improves.

-jav

Reply to
Javier Henderson

It depends on your settings. If you've never played around with the "bandwidth saver" feature while looking at your account online, then it probably doesn't do anything. But if you have reduced the bandwidth setting from its default, then *99 forces the ATA to use a full 90kbps connection for that call.

Now that I think of it, I'm not sure that Tivo even allows for dialing prefixes, but I could be wrong.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

My understanding is that it tells Vonage to use the highest call quality option for this call only -- The idea being that it's needed for faxes or modem calls, but not strictly required for voice calls.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.