VOIP, The Right Choice?

Hello,

I have been trying to find an answer for several weeks and have had no luck. I am a software designer, and I am trying to find a solution to a problem. I would like to send an audio signal, such as "good", or play a bell for good, or to say "bad" or play a buzzer sound for bad. I would like to be able to do this over a from one PC to multiple headsets/headphones. This would not be a "global broadcast", meaning I may choose to send "good" to headset number 1, but send nothing to the other headsets. These same headsets would be wireless. My range is about 15-30 feet. What I can't seem to find is a device to do this. I don't care if it is a small battery powered "black box" that I can send audio to and plug a headset into, or if it is an actual headphone that allows you to communicate to it via TCPIP. Does such an item exist?

Reply to
RFleming
Loading thread data ...

It sounds like you need to utilize multicast so you can communicate with a select set of receivers (multicast groups). I also assume you run a VoIP environment? If so, take a look at this link...don't know if it's exactly what you need, but it might get you closer:

formatting link

Good luck!

snipped-for-privacy@Nati> Hello,

Reply to
fugettaboutit

Multicast will not work until TCP/IP v6 is implemented.

Reply to
GeekBoy

That is not correct, as multicast is certainly not limited to IPv6. I use multicast in my IPv4 net for music-on-hold services enterprise-wide, both LAN and WAN subnets. Over a thousand devices are configured as multicast groups.

Also, Berbee produced a product that streamed multicast audio streams to existing 7900 series IP phones. It was their product, but I believe there are others out there. Again, IPv6 is not a determining factor for multicast operation.

GeekBoy wrote:

Reply to
fugettaboutit

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.