Voip providers and time to get incoming.

Vonage... I suspect most of them, actually.
Reply to
DevilsPGD
Loading thread data ...
With what provider?
Are you using a provider-assigned number or trying to port a number?
Reply to
DevilsPGD

does anyone know of a voip provider that has incoming calls as soon as you
set up the voip box?
Reply to
sergio Fernandez
I use Libretel's Port-of-Call service. The number started working more-or-less as soon as I clicked "purchase" on their web site and my credit card cleared.
miguel
Reply to
Miguel Cruz
not all, I'm waiting for incoming only have out going. just starting to look for an alternative, just in case.
Reply to
sergio Fernandez
I got SunRocket with one of their temp numbers and had full service the moment I plugged in my adapter. Don't know how long it will take to port my own number when I am ready.
Reply to
burris
Vonage too. I've ordered three adapters and ~7 lines over the course of the last 2-3 years, the phone number was always active within minutes of my purchase on the web, inbound calls went to voicemail until the ATA arrived.
Within minutes of connecting the ATA (the delay being the time for it to download and update it's firmware), I was able to make and receive calls.
In the cases where I was adding a line to an existing ATA, it typically takes less then 30 minutes. If you manually reboot the ATA, it takes less then 2 minutes.
Reply to
DevilsPGD
Unless you're porting the number from another provider.
Reply to
DevilsPGD
Sez you :-( i was without incoming for 5 weeks! And that was after it had worked flawlessly for 8 weeks!
The number "port" had been done wrong. So I got bills from BOTH old and Voip companies. I got both on the phone and old - co agreed to stop billing. Well, they issued a "disconnect" order, which has a legally required 4 week grace period. Ergo on Christmas day 2004 we stopped getting incoming. Outgoing continued to work just fine. It took three weeks to get upper management's attention. Then I had to pay the local company (neither old nor new could do this 'fix' by themselves!) to fix the local Switch in our town. Then the Voip company could complete the "port".
On the plus side, the VoIP company gave me a full refund and 3 months credit.
There are a minimum of 25 steps required to 'port' a number. It is complicated by regulations and by organizational issues and by the technology of number portability.
Make more sense now?
Reply to
Rick Merrill
It does not make sense that person should be two weeks with no incoming. I get a "It takes time to register your number" reply ...... when I ask why I don't have in bound yet.
it does not make sense.
Reply to
sergio Fernandez
Vonage? I'd rate it somewhere between a landline and a cellphone. It's generally closer to the landline side of things though.
Reply to
DevilsPGD
i'm not porting a number
Reply to
sergio Fernandez
How good is the sound quality?
Reply to
sergio Fernandez

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.