VoIP over ISDN

For me the only option to get something faster than dial-up is ISDN. I know, it's not great and it's expensive. Be as it may, I have to do with ISDN. I am wondering if it is possible to get VoIP service over the ISDN connection. With ISDN I get the bandwidth associated with the two B channels (128K) which in theory would be plenty for good voice traffic. However, reading the offerings from various VoIP services, they only mention DSL or cable as suitable VoIP avenues. Does any of you guys have VoIP working on an ISDN connection?

Reply to
Leo
Loading thread data ...

Yes, there should be no reason why this can't work. I think the reason you don't hear much about it is that ISDN has become quite uncommon most places.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

Why not use one of the B-Channels for voice? Most ISDN routers can automatically add and drop a B Channel from your data connection when it is needed for voice.

I have some Cisco 804 ISDN routers with 2 pots ports available for sale at a good price if you are interested.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

Yes, the B channels and the pot ports can be directly used for voice, only however under the supervision/billing of the Telco (as far as I know ....) thus negating the price advantage of the VoIP scheme.

Leo

Reply to
Leo

What is ISDN replaced with?

Reply to
Orc General

2B+D is squeezed out by DSL and cable modems.

PRI isn't going anywhere, I should have clarified.

miguel

Reply to
Miguel Cruz

In Qwest territory, if you have ISDN, voice channels are a freebee. You still have to pay long distance charges (you can use any carrier, just like on an analog line), but local calls are free. Also, the standard price includes most options you can think of (Caller ID, Call Transfer, Call Conference, etc....). It turns out that the ISDN pricing is less than 2 business lines, so it's a relatively good deal just for voice.

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.