Nortel BCM Vs Avaya IP Office

We are a medium sized software house that runs its own help desk. We are looking at install a VOIP system and have the decision down to 2 the Nortel BCM or the Avaya IP Office. We have 2 offices in different cities which will be connectred VIA a Tier 1.

One office will have about 30 extensions, with 4 IP trucks to our other office which will have about 10 extensions. We will be doing some considerable Jumping off from other smaller office.

Nortel have recommend the BCM 400 for larger office and the BCM 200 for the smaller

Avaya have recommended the IP406 for both offices.

Does anyone here have any suggestions about which is the better system to choose?

I have been told that the BCM is in a completely higher class than the IP 406 is this true?

Thanks in Advance

Gavin

Reply to
Gavin
Loading thread data ...

Bah, I'd say grab your local linux geek and have him setup Asterisk. It'll be cheaper than buying some expensive proprietary PBX and give you allot of room for expansion and extra features. Plus you can use almost any SIP/H323 phones. I suggest you take a look if you haven't.

formatting link

-Paul

Reply to
Paul

That was probably a Nortel sales rep telling you that ;-) IP406 is a great switch, and has just been improved with its second hardware version. Installs easily, will support from 5 to 30 IP trunks between your offices. And get this: Nortel BCM supports 3-party conference calls, IP Office - 64-party conf calls (or two 64-party on IP412). Not too bad for a (relatively) small switch like that. So, which one is a higher class? ;-)

Anyways, both are solid switches. Talks about "completely higher class" are sales bullshit. Go by level of support offered and the phone vendor's references. Well, and the price, obviously. If your phone vendor does not know what they are doing, both switches can easily be screwed up (especially BCM at the configuration stage - very complicated resource allocation setup), so make sure you trust the vendor.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Hi Gavin...

My company is an authorized Avaya business partner. We do a lot of IP

Office installs. We also advertise on this site....

If you want more info please contact us...

For your viewing pleasure, here is some info re: the 406

formatting link

basic IP Office info

formatting link

Reply to
ROAR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.