FWD for dial-up

I am currentlyon FWD but have a braodband connection of 64k but what software/Hardware would be reccomended for dial-up users or those braodband users with very low bandwidth of below 32kbps. It has to be FWD/SIP Based.

Sid

Reply to
SidKnee
Loading thread data ...

You'll have a hard time getting SIP to work on a dialup connection. That's not to say it won't, but don't expect audio quality to be up to much.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

"Ivor Jones" wrote >

I realise this. But I have friends in Malawi who I would like to communicate with over SIP protocol. They only have dial-up or broadband which is 32kbps shared.

Sid

Reply to
SidKnee

Hi I have used FWD over both dialup and single 64K isdn with susccess, You need to make sure that you both only have GSM and ilbc enabled as your codecs. Then the quality is OK(ish). And for a laugh i have even used it over GPRS with some success from my PDA.

Its all down to choosing codecs.

Good luck Ian

Reply to
Ian

Haven't tried with FWD, but Bubble.net claimed theirs will work over dial-up and it DOESN'T, well you can connect but it is impossible to have a conversation.

By the way X-lite softphone can handle three 'lines' so I have FWD, Sipgate and Babble all set up and working, I only have sipgate PSTN number, but presumably could have another one from Babble too. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

(I'm not on a dialup-line but...)

When I use my ip-phones, I consume ~25-30kbps so it should be possible to squize it thru a dialup. I know of a guy running voip on a 32kbps connection it works, but his old 64kbps line was better.

Reply to
Henning Wangerin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.