voip from Bahrain

I will be moving shortly to Bahrain (Middle East)

So I am looking for a VOIP system so I can call cheaply from Bahrain to destinations like Australia and Europe. Not P2P but from PC to POTS.

Any recommendations on what the best provider is?

Joop

Reply to
Joop de Wit
Loading thread data ...

You will probably get internet and phone via Batelco. They have their own VoIP solution, but it seems to be limited

formatting link
. I don't know whether or not they prevent you from accessing other services outside of Bahrain.

A well known international VoIP provider is Skype. Advantage: Their software automatically configures itself to match even the weirdest network configurations. Disadvantage: They use a proprietary protocol: Skyp service (almost) only works with Skype software.

There are numerous providers who use the standard SIP-protocol and have various billing options. The optimum depends on your needs. You may look for:

- Are calls to customers of the same provider free?

- Do calls to customers of other providers go over the Internet and are free or do they go over the landline and have to be paid? Does the provider support ENUM or peering to reach these customers, does he block calls to and from others or does he neither support nor block you?

- Does the provider charge a monthly base fee or just per minute?

- Do you get a personal dial in number?

- Do shared dial in numbers around the world exist where people from Australia or Europe can dial in and just pay the national rate to reach you?

Christian Barmala

Reply to
Christian Barmala

Thanks for the info Christian. Looking at their website, it they offer a calling card, but I do not see anything for VOIP. But I definitely need a foreign VOIP provider, as their international rates are a joke: to call Australia will cost me 0.60 euro's per minute, from Oz to Europe I pay 0.03 Euro/min: 1/20th of the price!

And their ADSL rates are 100 Euro's per month for 512 kbs download, I pay here in France 30 Euro for 1.5 Mbs. Oh the joy of state monopolies.

I looked at Skype, and it is almost exactly, but not quite, what I need. My ideal would be to use a ATA box, so I can use my normal phone for VOIP as well as POTS.

Joop

Reply to
Joop de Wit

If you need an ATA-box, you probably have to go for a SIP-compliant provider.

See

formatting link
a sample:
formatting link
or
formatting link
Some ATA-boxes even allow for multiple providers simultaneously.

e164.org Support currently runs a test and offers (some) free calls to Australia.

Christian

Reply to
Christian Barmala

formatting link
As a sample:
formatting link
or

Aliitle bit more research, and I think that I found it: - Skype (+SkypeOut and SkypeIn) - Telephone Olympia DualPhone. That one interfacers with Skype via USB and also has a POTS connection.

Looks like a winning combination

Thanks for your help.

Joop

Reply to
Joop de Wit

Hi,

"Joop de Wit"

SkypeOut has an attractive per minute price, SkypeIn is payd per year.

Interesting. I didn't yet know about this hardware.

Christian

Reply to
Christian Barmala

Dear Joop,

Hi, how are you? How are you doing over there? Do you like the country? I hope that you like and absorb the culture.

If you kindly visit

formatting link
you'll get all and more than what you're looking for.

And in addition you can start the worldwide business from there.

Please do feel free to contact me at anytime for further information or questions you may have at: uninumber.gmail.com

Wish you all the best. Sam.

------------------------------------- Jo> I will be moving shortly to Bahrain (Middle East)

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.voice-over-ip - 4876 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ubifone

Dear Christian,

Hi, how are you?

With your permission, I would like to introduce you a new concept: 'One World, One Community, One Number'.

For details please visit :

formatting link
Please do feel free to contact me on snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com or speak for free through the new system. My Global Number is 97139713.

Kind Regards,

Sam.

------------------------------------- Christian Barmala wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup - comp.dcom.voice-over-ip - 4876 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ubifone

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.