VOIP basic question!

so I got a question. How do you get multiple phone numbers terminated on one line? in other words, lets say I have a office of 10 people and they want to share 5 phone numbers, well does SBC give me 5 different lines (as in 5 different copper cables? or do they give me like a trunk like that has all 5 lines on it?) what kind of hardware do I need to house those lines on an IP PBX?

anyone?

Reply to
news8080
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com schrieb:

What do you mean with "line"? Yes, it is possible to have several concurrent calls on ONE internet connection. For optimal quality the internet connection should have 150 kbit/sec for each concurrent call.

in other words, lets say I have a office of 10 people and

No idea who "SBC" is, but from a VoIP provider you can get 5 incoming numbers which can be used on one or more internet connections. Normally you will use ONE connection. Even if you just have 5 INCOMING numbers you can make as many OUTGOING calls as your internet connection is able to carry. You just need someone with a gateway, who is routing these VoIP call into the public network. This should be available at very low cost of say a cent per minute or so.

And you not need BUYing incoming numbers. You can get them without any cost from IPKALL.com. The rest is just configuration.

or do they give me like a

Best choice for internal VoIP PBX is Asterix running on Linux. You will only need a minimal hardware to run it.

Then it is quite simple and you just need VoIP phones at your LAN to finish the calls. Maybe Headsets or Handsets with USB connections at the PC's in your LAN will suffice if these are running all the time.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Barth

Thankfully, I just found this newsgroup and struggling to find a solution for my phones. I am planning on downsizing my small business the first of the year and move it back to my home. The current system I have at my office was purchased in 1992 and state of the art at that time. Needless to say it is pretty much a door stop by today's standard.

I need 3 lines and decided to give Voip a call mainly because of cost and also wiring home. I do not intend to move the old office system here. The hosted IP PBX providers look promising but I am running into trying to find the right phones. My wife's office is on the 2nd floor of the house, mine is in the basement. Both are wired with Cat5 cabling, computers are networked with linksys, and Roadrunner is used.

I can buy say a linksys 4 line voip phone. That takes care of the office upstairs. But where do I find another desk (base) phone for downstairs. I see also that one can buy other phones that come with additional wireless handsets which would work, but it is difficult to work on a handset all day.

Any ideas or advice really appreciated. At this point I don't know the best way to proceed.

Don Harvey

Reply to
Don Harvey

Perhaps you can find some useful iformation on CQ VoIP Call web site:

formatting link
are links to service providers and hardware providers:
formatting link
Good luck.

Reply to
Voiper

Hi

Why not intall 2 voip phone in the two place. VOIP account is not like the PSTN account, you could find some account without month rent fee.

Leon snipped-for-privacy@telecomchinasourcing.com

Reply to
liuzhaoyongxx

Thanks Guys,

Leon, you are right, I had to rethink how Voip works and different from PSTN. I ordered 2 Linksys SPA942 phones and will use 2 lines with IP PBX from Vocalocity

formatting link
. I will eventually need 3 lines but 2 will give me time to test.

Looking forward to getting the phones and a relief that I will not have to install any further equipment or run any cabling. Time will tell but hopefully it will work as advertised.

Reply to
Don Harvey

You can install a VOIP-PBX server.

When you install the VOIP-PBX, you can add external lines to connect to your VOIP carriers network and bind these external line to one local client/line. The you can get multiple phone numbers terminated to one line.

In another way, you can configure these external lines to be shared with local users, then all you 10 people can share these external lines to make out group call.

I suggest you to try miniSipServer. It is a software based SIP server for Microsoft windos platform. Maybe it can resolve your problem.

B.R. Hong

Reply to
Hongtian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.