Tailor made for VOIP?

We have an office with four lines. What I'd like to do is close the office and move its operation to two new locations -- one is my home and the other is an employee's home (both located fairly close to the closing office.)

Could VOIP play a role in accomplishing what I want to do? The reason I'm looking into this as part of the solution is that it might allow me to maintain some features that are useful which would not be available with telco-provided "off premises extension" arrangement, such as line-in-use indicator and intercom or other kind of easy communication between locations.

What if I have the telco move the physical lines/numbers to my house and hook them up to a PBX with VOIP capability? Both locations have broadband internet connections.

Or are there services available that would provide what I'm looking for entirely off-site, kind of like Centrex? (The traditional Centrex service would seem to miss the mark, I think. I use the term to mean something "switch based" or off-site.)

So there you have it. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Thanks.

Reply to
Someone
Loading thread data ...

I don't know about VOIP, that would be great if it could be done. I do know that CENTREX multiline phones can provide line in use indication at multiple locations. Several years ago I managed a very large CTX. Several offices needed what you are looking for. We had phones with all of the same line appearances on them at three seperate locations. Worked great, we even had intercom between the stations. The only restriction was that it needed to be in the same switch. I don't know what it cost, but technically it's possible. We were served with a Nortel DMS-100 switch and used the dedicated 'P' phones that worked with it.

Bob

Some> We have an office with four lines. What I'd like to do is close

Reply to
Bob

These two locations are served by the same switch. It's a #5 ESS running version 5E15.1 according to the LERG. I called the local telco and they suggested DPA extensions on the lines (Different Premise Address), but they couldn't say if it would provide line-in-use appearance.

Reply to
Someone

{centrex?}

How about ISDN Centrex? With the right CPU, you can get everything you want.

Reply to
David Lesher

Make that right CPE....

Reply to
David Lesher

After looking into this more, I'm beginning to think that the thing to do is take my little PBX to my house and have the telco install an OPX line to the employee's house. That way, it seems like she can just be an extension on the PBX just as she is now.

Reply to
Someone

What kind of PBX are you using? Just wondering as I currently have a situation somewhat similar. What does the TELCO charge you for this OPX?

Some> After looking into this more, I'm beginning to think that

Reply to
Bob

Someone wrote: : We have an office with four lines. What I'd like to do is close : the office and move its operation to two new locations -- one : is my home and the other is an employee's home (both located : fairly close to the closing office.)

: Could VOIP play a role in accomplishing what I want to do?

[...]

: Or are there services available that would provide what I'm looking for : entirely off-site, kind of like Centrex? (The traditional Centrex service : would seem to miss the mark, I think. I use the term to mean something : "switch based" or off-site.)

Look for hosted PBX solutions. In essence, they take a large PBX (think

10s, or 100s of thousands of extensions), and partition out a piece for your use. Your extensions work anywhere you have Internet connectivity.
Reply to
John Osmon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.