How I made SPA-2000 behind NAT work.

This is probably obvious to most people who really know NAT and SIP but for others who are stumbling around just trying to make things work, here's my story.

I have a bunch of Sipura SPA-2000 (dual FXS) devices. I've been giving them to friends in order to see what good we can make of them. Until now I had not tried making a call to one of the devices behind NAT.

I started testing calls to a NAT device at home from a server out on the 'net. The SPA device was registered and configured with "nat=yes" but calls were failing with 404 errors. At first I thought it was just that I needed to call some special extension in the SPA.

A little network traffic sniffing showed that even though I'd told Asterisk that the device is behind NAT, it was trying to send calls to port 5060 on the public IP address. That was reaching my home Asterisk server which generated the 404.

So...more reading...I found this paper on SIP and NAT.

formatting link
it I noticed The proxy needs to return SIP packets on the same port it received them to the IP:port that the packets were sent from (not to any standard SIP port, e.g. 5060). SIP has tags that tell the proxy to do this -- the "received" tag tells the proxy to return a packet to a specific IP and the "rport" tag [2] keeps the port to return to. Ah ha! I recalled "rport" in the NAT part of the SPA's SIP page. I experimented and found that all I needed to do was switch "Insert VIA rport" to "On" to make it work.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird
Loading thread data ...

Do you have any spare SPA-2000s that you would like to give me????

Mike Schumann

Reply to
Mike Schumann

More learning...

Under "Line 1" and "Line 2", change "NAT Keep Alive Enable" to "yes" and under "SIP" set "NAT Keep Alive Intvl" to something short enough to keep the firewall awake.

Yes, I know; that should have been obvious.

Also, under "SIP" set "Send Resp To Src Port" to "yes".

formatting link
Sipura has excellent documentation for configuration and provisioning of their equipment. This documentation is only available to Service Providers and Resellers.

I've been told service providers and resellers can't even get good documentation from Sipura. Too bad. It's great hardware. It just needs some firmware tweaking and documentation.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.