Is Comcast blocking my VOIP?

I was successfully using my Voicestick voip to call out when I had AT&T dsl. However, now that I've switched to a wireless LAN using Comcast, I can't make my outbound calls with my Voicestick softphone. It gives me a code

12002 timeout error when I try to authenticate.

I've tried connecting with my software firewall to allow, and with it completely turned off. I tried port-forwarding the recommended Voicestick ports to my computer while my software firewall was off. I finally tried putting my computer in the router's DMZ with my software firewall turned off. I just couldn't get a call to go through. I can't think of anything that's stopping the show except Comcast. Could there be another reason? Thanks.

Reply to
M.L.
Loading thread data ...

Comcast and 3rd party VoIP works just fine. You almost certainly have your router and/or adapter (stick) configured incorrectly. Can you hook that "VoiceStick" directly to your cable modem [or is it a USB bit that connects to a PC}?

Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

I'm not using the stick, just their softphone.

Reply to
M.L.

Firewall issue ... either on your computer or on your router ... I am about

100% sure of this. I am 100% sure that Comcast is not blocking VoIP. They took enough heat with their interference with torrents to even consider blocking VoIP for anti-competitive reasons.
Reply to
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Thanks for your reply. I had already tried shutting down my router and software firewalls with no success. Turns out that my WinXP Telephony service was set to Manual. After setting it to Started->Automatic and rebooting, I could make outgoing calls.

Reply to
M.L.

I believe VoIP does not work if you are using a private IP address (NAT) behind your router/firewall. It could also be a software issue with your router. Check with your router vendor for VoIP support and NAT.

formatting link
RP

Reply to
RP

Thanks for your reply. I found the problem was that the Telephony Service was not turned on on my system.

Reply to
M.L.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.