FoIP through Lingo

I have limited exposure to T.37 (store and forward), so I can't really answer to that question. I guess what happens is that you negotiate in realtime with a fax-like entity running on the media gateway that your cable box is sent to, and that later your fax is then sent along to another media gateway which then negotiates with the fax machine you're sending to. Sort of like fax by proxy, with two actual fax calls being placed (one between sending fax machine and gateway 1, the ohter between gateway 2 and receiving fax machine) - rather than one call between the two fax machines.

Try to nail them down on what they mean by "FoIP". This typcailly means "fax relay" in the business, not just fax over G.711 (which is usually called "fax passthrough"). There are other flavors of fax relay that are not IP-specific - there is fax over AAL2 (for ATM Links), FRF.11 (for frame relay links, largely obsoloete) and other proprietary methods. However, what I believe that they're doing is blowing smoke up your rear end. I bet they just sense the tones on the line that are unique to fax, and switch your call over from a voice-specific codec (like G.729ab) to G.711. If this is the case, as I've said before, there is no reason you should not be ablt to use your PC w/ modem at 14400bps speed - unless their network sucks.

Ask them this specifically: "Does your fax solution implement true fax relay (FoP), or is it simply fax passthrough, with G.711 carrying the fax traffic?"

James

Reply to
James Calivar
Loading thread data ...

Okay, I talked to Lingo again. No new information, though. The techie just reiterated (in more detail) what they said before: you have to use a fax machine (not a PC) with a 14400 modem, and they don't support T.38.

I asked about fax relay and fax passthru, and was told that they can do either. I asked if I need to do anything to tell the fax machine which protocol to use, and the techie said no.

I'll have to see if I can borrow a machine.

Reply to
DanG

Yes, see if you can borrow a fax machine. I cannot for the life of me figure out why a "real" fax machine would work when a PC-based fax modem would not, though. They are functionally identical.

When the tech says that "they can do either" fax relay or fax passthrough - but they DON'T support T.38 - then unless they're using a proprietary fax relay solution I haven't to foggiest notion of what he is talking about. On IP networks, today's fax relay is T.38. Older gateway solutions (for example, some Cisco boxes) fielded proprieteary fax relay software, but that requires having an identical box on both ends, which cannot be guaranteed. I think the techie is misinformed, and it sounds as if they are all just trained to parrot back the same lines to customers.

let's hear what happens with the "real" fax machine.

James

Reply to
James Calivar

Sorry. No news yet. I thought I'd borrow a machine from the office across the street from me, but apparently they only have a huge floor model. They suggested that I buy one, then return it th next day, but not fair to the store. I even thought I could rent one for a day, but can't find any place that rents computer equipment around here.

The saga continues...

Reply to
DanG

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.