Cisco FAX Server ???

Hello exist anything that installed on a cisco router, acts as a FAX server?

Like a fax server with email queing? It receives a fax on a analog line and sends via FAX to an email address?

Just asking...

thanks

Reply to
Elia S.
Loading thread data ...

I'm not aware of any (and I'd be surprised if there is one) but I am curious why you would be using a router to do this instead of a FAX receiving app on a general purpose computer.

Reply to
Rod Dorman

I would like to do that on a router so I could be sure that it will be very reliable, instead than on any general PC.

just my 2 cents, knowing that cisco ios is very stable on my network!

Reply to
Elia S.

You will find this function on cheap home routers, but I doubt you will find it on a cisco IOS router.

Reply to
Rob

I haven't seen a fax server on any router, never mind a cheap home one. How many people use fax at home, anyway?

Reply to
alexd

AVM Fritz!Box routers do have that.

Reply to
Rob

Hi, nope, no Fax Server available on a Cisco Router. I suppose you could get creative and "write" you own using TCL scripting. :)

Best bet though, in my opinion, is Elastix.

formatting link
Open-source, free server platform. Does Fax-to-email, Voip, IM, eMail, etc. All-in for nothing.

Good Luck! :)

Reply to
Richard Westby-Nunn

It depends how you define "fax server".

T.37 Store-and-Forward Fax:

Converts a fax message into a TIFF file. Creates a standard MIME e-mail message. Attaches the TIFF file to the e-mail message. Forwards the e-mail message and attachment to the messaging infrastructure of a designated SMTP server, where the message is stored.

It works a treat.

Reply to
Andy

Hello Andy that is really what I need to receive faxes only.

Can you give me more info about that?

"Andy" ha scritto nel messaggio news:jjajp4$ofu$ snipped-for-privacy@d> Hello

Converts a fax message into a TIFF file. Creates a standard MIME e-mail message. Attaches the TIFF file to the e-mail message. Forwards the e-mail message and attachment to the messaging infrastructure of a designated SMTP server, where the message is stored.

It works a treat.

Reply to
Elia S.

Hello Andy

I have looked a bit on the cisco website.

But for me it is uncelar one requirement.

I have a cisco router (maybe 3700 or 2600) with the voice card VIC as written in the cisco site.

formatting link
formatting link
The docs speaks about a gateway... but cannot I receive the fax on the router (then sent via email) directly plugging the cisco to the PSTN line?

"Andy" ha scritto nel messaggio news:jjajp4$ofu$ snipped-for-privacy@d> Hello

It works a treat.

Reply to
Elia S.

formatting link

formatting link

The gateway is the router. The incoming call will be received on a voice module in that router.

That second document - the Cisco Fax Services over IP Application Guide

- is the one to be looking at.

Reply to
Andy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.