Simultaneous Ring Problem With Cell

(I posted a much more detailed version of this note earlier describing exactly what I want to accomplish, why I want to do it, what I had already tried, etc., but apparently it was too much information and thus it was rejected. Clarifications will have to come in the form of replies.)

I have "simultaneous ring" call forwarding at home. I want to use this feature to forward to my cell phone which does not have voicemail. If I don't answer my home phone or my cell while it's on, then it goes to my home voicemail. However, if my cell phone is off or out of range, then my cell phone company "answers" the "simulring" call with a message stating that I am not available. This happens before my home voicemail has a chance to kick in.

What's the best way to avoid the latter situation so that if my cell phone is off, my home voicemail gets the call? My cellular provider is willing to work with me and entertain suggestions from me, so if anyone has any creative solution, I'm all ears. Apparently, they cannot turn off the message on an account-by-account basis (or so they think).

Thanks,

Nathan Anderson

"You can't appreciate Shakespeare until you've read him in the original Klingon." -- General Chang, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: I will tell you how I handle the same problem here: Instead of simultaneous ring, my home phone is set up for 'transfer on busy/no answer' to my cell phone. If I do not answer my home phone (or am already on a conversation) then the incoming call forwards (after 3-4 rings) to my cellular phone, then the cellular phone 'transfers on busy/no answer' to voicemail. That way, if I am out, or not in the area, my home phone rings 3-4 times, switches to the cellular which rings 4-5 times, _then_ it goes to voicemail. In other words, your voicemail has to be at the end of the line (after the cell phone) and not in the middle (attached to Inland) as you have it now. Do not let anything 'get in the way' of the voicemail (such as the phone is out of area/not turned on' message people are getting now).

And I would not do it on simultaneous ring simply because there is too great a risk of callers getting the inappropriate response they are getting now. I would say do it on 'transfer on busy/no answer' so the only time the cell phone gets the call is if the landline goes unanswered, which is what you would want anyway. And if your voicemail is on the Inland line, it is always going to jump in and intercept calls whether you want to or not. Have the voicemail on the cell phone line, so you in effect get 'two chances' to answer the call (once on home line, and once on cellular) before the call is lost. And if you are out of the area, or the cell phone is unable to get the call, then voicemail will get it rather than the messages people are getting now from it. In your original message which I have here, I think you said the cell phone was timing out with inappropriate responses, busy signals, etc after a certain period of time. Unless you have some objection to the voicemail from your cellular carrier, I would use that one to insure there was always some appropriate response if you did not get the call for some reason. PAT]

Reply to
Nathan Anderson
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.