No-Call List Enforcement In USA: Dead or Dying? [telecom]

I've been fairly diligent in registering complaints about telephone solicitors to both the federal and Pennsylvania state no-call list enforcers.

For some years, it seemed effective. Even got a check for a few dollars from the Penna Attorney General as my part of some class action suit they brought against a violator.

Over the past year or so, however, I've been getting a stream of lame letters from the Penna Attorney General with statements so the effect that telemarketers are going offshore and/or are using VOIP providers to spoof and relay calls to the extent that there's nothing that can be done.

This is coincident with a sharp rise in telemarketing calls to both my home phones and my cell phone (the cell phone at .32 per call yet.... and these guys' robo calling equipment even leaves voicemail messages....so there's no escape via selective answering).

"Lame" bc somehow I think that if those telemarketing calls were, instead, threats to some person in high political office, that effective action would be quickly taken.

Can anybody who really knows comment? Is No-Call List enforcement really dead or dying?

Is there any technological solution here or on the horizon - especially for cell phone users? Challenge/Response? Gold Lists?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)
Loading thread data ...

The federal stance has always been nothing more than statistic gathering and referral to uour local jurisdiction fo litigation on your dime should you so choose. Sounds like PA went the extra mile until funding ran out.

I know of no way they can stop this using any type of technolgy with either wireline or wireless. The issue with wireless is really at the wireline level.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Per Sam Spade:

Irritating the rich and powerful seems tb a tried-and-true method of getting action.

Since reading this

formatting link
, I suspect that a fix will be forthcoming within a year or two max.

My hope is that said fix doesn't involve something that costs too much for us peons.

Reply to
Pete Cresswell

Actually, it's easy. "Follow the money". You don't need to trace the source number. The violators are trying to make money. If the feds were to fine the companies advertised, that would provide sufficient incentive to keep the violations down. Recording your telephone spam should provide the necessary chain of evidence.

Reply to
Ron

If you believe he is doing anything other than grandstanding...well, enjoy. The FTC doesn't have the staff to change anything.

Reply to
Sam Spade

Neither the FTC nor the FCC have the staff to do anything at all any more. This is due to Congress. Congress can change it.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Per Sam Spade:

That kind of pops my little bubble....

But, upon reflection, I have to say it sounds reasonable.

Reply to
Pete Cresswell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.