Can I connect it to my home wiring?

Right now I have the Vonage / Motorola box connected to a wireless phone base station. At this point non of the telephone outlets in my house are connected. I was wondering if I could connect the motorola box to one of the unused phone outlets and if that would bring connectivity to the rest of the outlets in the house?

Reply to
KraftDiner
Loading thread data ...

I guess I could make sure things are disconnected to the outside world... I just wasn't sure that wireing was designed such that the CO so to speak could be connected at any outlet. Any one have a schematic that might demonstrate a typical home connected to a CO?

Reply to
KraftDiner

So long as you are absolutely 100% sure that your inside wiring isn't connected to anything outside the house, yes, that will probably work assuming that your outlets are all wired together. I've done it.

If your wiring does get connected to something outside, it'll likely blow out the box.

Reply to
John R. Levine

Heck, I wouldn't stop at that. I'd just pull the wires inside and leave a dummy piece of cable sticking through the wall for the phone guys to play with if the mood so strikes them. (Thats essentially what I do. All the connections to the internal wiring safely go to a connection block inside my garage that is on the other side of the wall from the demarc. Nothing the phone techs do will cause their ring voltage to appear on any wires going to the analog phones.

-wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht

aND leave a NOTE to make sure no body else Reconnects the thing!

Hmmmmm, maybe you're not ready for this...

Reply to
Rick Merrill

What is different about connecting at the phone companies demarkation point vs. connecting at a wall outlet? anything? (Assuming I have disconnected from the CO and that my connection block is not connected to the outside world at all.)

Reply to
KraftDiner

Not much, no.

The ATA device probably doesn't have anywhere close to the same ringer/signal drive as what bell would give you. They probably are of lower quality (certainly the PAP2 I got from my voip trunk provider for free is, very staticy, and the 1st port is bad, but I don't use the thing anyway).

Of course, bell is on even if you don't have power, their DC plant will drive you for sometime.

But for every thing else, your ATA hands off pretty much the same as what bell provides in reguards to your other pots phone sets.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.