Asterisk

Hello, Are there any resources that help a simple mind like mine understand how to :

Install Asterisk Configure Asterisk

without knowing much about Linux ?.

Are there any packaged installation routines ?. Are there any GUI (I know, I know) configuration tools ?.

I'd like to have a play about but I'm coming from a Cisco CallManager background where everything is done for you !.

Many thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve McKee
Loading thread data ...

Asterisk@Home is a distribution with asterisk included and some management tools also (web based). You can download it from:

formatting link
Read the installation instruction at :
formatting link
And your ready to go:

And if yoy search for asterisk at

formatting link
you will find some other stuff of intresst.

And take a look at

formatting link
that is the source for info about VoIP and a lot of asterisk stuff.

/Mats

Reply to
Mats Karlsson

And I just remembered that Andy Powell wrote a execelent "Getting Started With Asterisk".

Take a look at :

formatting link
/Mats

Reply to
Mats Karlsson

Reply to
Steve McKee

Good advice on resources has already been given so I'll pitch my "how to get started with Asterisk" advice: just do it. Commit some time and hardware to setting up something. Get an account with at least one of the good PSTN providers. When you run into problems, ask. There are lots of us who will be happy to help. Do your homework but also plan to use us.

Don't sit there trying to understand everything before you get started (like I did). Assume everything is going to work the way you want and just jump into it.

If you install Debian (from Knoppix, even), Asterisk installation is not too much beyond "apt-get install asterisk". I'll be happy to step you through it.

Oh! And keep track of the stuff you wish someone had told you. Post it for the next guy.

--kyler

Reply to
Kyler Laird

Background articles. You should read them:

formatting link
Excellent tutorial (already mentioned)
formatting link
THE reference of the moment:
formatting link
About using asterisk with double NAT (routers on both ends)
formatting link

Reply to
BlueRinse

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.