Weird setup for a phone jack

Hi, I was wondering if someone could explain this weird setup for a phone jack in one of my bedrooms. The wall plate has what looks like quad wire coming out from behind it (pinched between the drywall and the edge of the plate) and this cable in turn goes to a wall wart plugged into an outlet with two screw terminals on the underside. One screw has the red wire, the other the green wire. Is this some sort of alarm circuit? My house was built in 1976, FWIW.

Reply to
Syd Barrett
Loading thread data ...

Alarm maybe, but doubtful. More likely, the power supply for an early version of a trim line or princess phone.

The first versions of those phones wouldn't operate on phone line voltage. They needed their own separate power supply to light the buttons, etc.

Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl

Reply to
Syd Barrett

Yep - I completely forgot that the Trimline I have in my posession is a

1982 vintage. It had the green LED lighting that ran off line current. Problem is I modified this phone to use it with Skype. Normal plan calls for one 9V battery but I had to parallel two 9V units for the extra current.
Reply to
T

If you don't have the phone, it's a good idea to disconnect the wall wart.. there was a certain model that had a tendancy to overheat, and could cause fires.

I'm guessing that it's grey, made by western electric, and about

1.5"w X 2.5"h X 1.5"d (from memory.) rectangular, with straight sides, and rounded corners and edges. I seem to recall that the guts were potted.
Reply to
Bob Vaughan

I also saw a bunch that were the same description as you give, except they were pink (guess they went on phones that were used to call a Mary Kay rep? ;-). Two straight slot screws for the voltage terminals, slightly recessed.

Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl

Reply to
Syd Barrett

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.