Looking for product. 110 outlet plugin device that acts as a switch based on power or no power.

I don't want to control the outlet. I just want a product that is essentially a relay plugged into an outlet. When there is power the contacts are closed. When there is not power the contacts are open.

Reply to
Joseph Shook
Loading thread data ...

You could buy a relay and plug it into an outlet!

Seriously, if you explain what you are trying to do, you might get some better suggestions.

Reply to
Pat

tially a relay plugged into an outlet. When there is power the contacts ar e closed. When there is not power the contacts are open.

I have an front porch motion sensor light. I have a screw in outlet so I h ave power access. I then have a ghost that can be activated via a switch. So I want a product that can be plugged into the outlet. When the light c omes on the switch is closed, the ghost turns on. I do not want to wire up 110 to a relay. The only wiring I want to do it to the switch that is exp osed from the battery powered ghost.

Reply to
Joseph Shook

You could plug a small "battery emininator" into the outlet and use it to power the ghost instead of its batteries.

Reply to
Pat

I never see typos until the message is long gone. That would be battery eliminator (ie, a small wall wort power supply available at Radio Shack and similar places).

Reply to
Pat

So I went down this path. I used one of my 4.5 wall wort 4.5 supplies and soldered in. This does supply power without batteries but actually does no t turn on the ghost with just presence of power. I still need to close the circuit with either the built in motion sensor(poor) or push the external mountable button. I am back to my original desire; wish there was a standa rd 110 wall plugin relay switch. Technically I there is probably a more co rrect definition (name) for that.

Now that I have cracked the case and brought out the solder, I might as wel l solder in a solid state relay.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

ssentially a relay plugged into an outlet. When there is power the contact s are closed. When there is not power the contacts are open.

I have power access. I then have a ghost that can be activated via a swit ch. So I want a product that can be plugged into the outlet. When the lig ht comes on the switch is closed, the ghost turns on. I do not want to wir e up 110 to a relay. The only wiring I want to do it to the switch that is exposed from the battery powered ghost.

Reply to
Joseph Shook

Most of those Halloween, so called, motion detectors, are really light level detectors ... which I guess really detects motion as light levels change. Anyway, maybe you could point the detector towards the light and when you turn it on, it will fire. Maybe you'll have to flicker the light on and off a few times ... hey, that will add to the ambiance, too. For years I did Halloween and one of my 1st gadgets was to blink the front porch light using radio audio to trigger a triac to make the light blink, look random. This scheme also worked good to run a sting of mini Christmas lights inside skulls or pumpkins to make it look like candles flickering. But now those flickering electronic candles are pretty cheap.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Thanks Art. That makes sense, that would have been the simplest solution and so obvious now that you pointed it out.

and soldered in. This does supply power without batteries but actually doe s not turn on the ghost with just presence of power. I still need to close the circuit with either the built in motion sensor(poor) or push the exter nal mountable button. I am back to my original desire; wish there was a st andard 110 wall plugin relay switch. Technically I there is probably a mor e correct definition (name) for that.

well solder in a solid state relay.

essentially a relay plugged into an outlet. When there is power the conta cts are closed. When there is not power the contacts are open.

so I have power access. I then have a ghost that can be activated via a s witch. So I want a product that can be plugged into the outlet. When the light comes on the switch is closed, the ghost turns on. I do not want to wire up 110 to a relay. The only wiring I want to do it to the switch that is exposed from the battery powered ghost.

Reply to
Joseph Shook

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.