Weather related connection problem?

Yes, it is very possibly that moisture is getting into something and causing the crackling and static.

But don't just think the cable to your house. I've seen incidents of this where the moisture was getting into a connection box a mile from the location. It took repeatedly calling the telco every time it happened to find it. The problem was they would dispatch out repair until the next day. By then the rain had stopped and the line had cleared up. They finally found it when we went through a period of about 3 days of steady rain.

The way to find out for certain is wait for the problem to occur, then go to your network connection point, disconnect all the inside wiring from the telco wiring and put a phone on the telco wiring. Test. If you still have static it's a telco problem. If it's quiet then the moisture may be getting into your inside wiring, or even the network connection pint if it's outside, and causing the problem.

Hope this helps.

Take care, Rich

God bless the USA

Reply to
Rich Piehl
Loading thread data ...

Whenever it's been raining, my line becomes noisy and crackly and I have trouble connecting to my ISP, and when I do connect, no data is sent or received, emails aren't received, and I get a lot of disconnections. I think rain water may be getting into the BT cable feeding my house. When it has stopped raining the noise fault clears and I have no trouble connecting to my ISP.

Is this a possible reason?

What can be done?

TIA

Reply to
Dean Ratcliffe

"Dean Ratcliffe" posted on that vast internet thingie:

Have you checked your little box outside? Sometimes it can be as simple as spider webs that get damp and short things out.

Otherwise keep reporting the problem to the telco and hope that it rains long enough for them to get someone there to track down the problem.

Steve at SELLCOM

Reply to
SELLCOM Tech support

You don't live in W. Hartford, CT? When I was there 20 years ago everyone had similar problems with dial up 1200/2400 bps modems. It was common to the entire area. Finally someone told me that after WWII the area was used to try out a lot of "new" technology. But one that went wrong was a "new and improved" way of making large multi-pair cables. It started leaking after about 20 years and was a real drag. The issue was the entire area had it and it was going to be a while before it was replaced.

Reply to
David Ross

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.