Intermiitent Connection Problem

Orient the antennas at a right angle to the direction of the receiving laptop, i.e., point the front face of the router to the laptop. Move the router away from any other electrical device (the modem for example). Broadcast SSID, use open key. Try different antenna settings, but default should work the best.

Q
Reply to
Quaoar
Loading thread data ...

Running Win XP on Compaq Presario 2195

with Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless-B Broadband Router

and Linksys Wireless Adapter WPC11

Connection is fine up to 10ft away. However, when I venture into a room 30ft away, my connection drops down from excellent to very low.

My walls are wallboard, with no obstructions in the hallway between my router and laptop.

I have tried changing my channels (1, 6, 11) and lowered my threshold, per Linksys Tech support and still nothing changes. Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

RED

Reply to
RED

Still scenario after suggestions made; no change.

Reply to
RED

XP with SP2 or not?

BEFW11S4 version 1, 2, 3.2 or 4?

WPC11 version 2.4, 3.0 or 4?

OK, an RF issue. The problem is that I can't tell from here whether it's the BEFW11S4 or the WPC11. The only way to be sure is to test each one individually. Invite someone over with a known working laptop with wireless and have them test your BEFW11S4. Similarly, take your laptop to the nearest free hot spot or place with a known working wireless, and do some range testing. That should assign the blame to one or the other.

Perhaps some aluminium foil backed fiberglass insulation in the walls?

How is the signal strength inside the room? Can you walk around the room and keep the connection at excellent? If so, then it's possible that the problem is in the walls. Move the access point temporarily to some location where you have unobstructed line of sight. Take a hike with your laptop. See how far you get. 100ft before it starts to screw up is minimum acceptable. 300ft before you lose connection is typical.

Leave the CTS/RTS flow control threshold along. With a fairly high number, CTS/RTS flow control is turned off. That's what you want with a small indoor system. If you were running the router outdoors, and were in a location where you have a "hidden transmitter" type problem (where multiple client radios cannot hear each other), then you might consider enabling flow control. Otherwise, leave it off, which is the default. Same with fragmentation limit, which is great for getting though interference, but that's not the problem here.

Normally, I would say that it's not a software/driver issue. However, I just had a miserable time with a Dlink DWL-G520vB1 PCI card on a W2K SP4 system. It would work, but the range was about 5 ft from my known working access point. I knew the card wasn't broken because I had just removed it from a working machine as part of a system upgrade. Eventually, I discovered that the latest driver 3.17 from the web pile just didn't work. I removed it and installed the driver that came on the cdrom in the box (1.0 ??) , and everything worked as expected. I'm not sure what to suggest other than try different WPC11 drivers.

Karma failure? Repent your evil ways? Burnt offerings required?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Do you have other sources of 2.4Ghz interferrence nearby? Possibly

2.4Ghz cordless phones or microwave ovens? These types of issues are made worse when you live in higher-density housing, like apartment buildings and townhouse communities.

good luck, J> Still scenario after suggestions made; no change.

Reply to
Jonathan

No, they are not near either router or modem.

Reply to
RED

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.