Connection Problem

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:32:56 GMT, Jim Walker spoketh

Well, you should enable encryption on your wireless network. WEP is better than nothing, but use WPA if your router and wireless card supports it.

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen
Loading thread data ...

Have you tried removing it and then re-installing it? Just an aside, if you are getting 0% signal strength but the numbers are changing (for packets sent/received), there is something whacky....#1 debugging thing I have found, delete the install, start over and reinstall.

PS, forget what you hear about WEP/WPA etc, just get the dang thing working with the defaults BEFORE you start adding security stuff. You can always add it a few minutes later.

PPS the symptoms you describe sound vaguely like a MAC address filter set > It isn't my network, just one a friend has and I am using it to test

Reply to
Peter Pan

I have a Linksys wireless card in my laptop and have tried to connect with a wireless router. My computer shows that it is connected, shows no signal strength indication, shows some small amount of data sent, and some data received. I am not sure that the data sent and received is real because it flashes on the screen and then disappears. There are no security settings on the sending wireless. Are there some settings or configurations I need to check? I used the Linksys installation disk and I am just using things the way it did things.

Reply to
Jim Walker
99.9% of things work straight out of the box with no settings changes.. Most of the errors I have seen are done by people trying things that they heard from a friend, or read in a NG.... You'd be amazed at how many errors are fixed by simply resetting the wap/router to factory defaults (usually a button on the back, press and hold it for 10-15 seconds)... Don't overthink/overplan/overanalyze... those things wouldn't be sold if they didn't work out of the box. #1 thing to try is to reset it to defaults.. Get it working and THEN add security features.... But get it working FIRST! Think about it.. they are designed for 6 year old kids to hook it up and have it work (basically, but at least work).

Jim Walker wrote:

)
Reply to
Peter Pan

It isn't my network, just one a friend has and I am using it to test my wireless. The problem is I am not 100% sure what all of his setting are but they say that they have not done anything to make the network secure.

Reply to
Jim Walker

After I am armed with questions to ask I will go over and do some checking on the settings. It will take a while so hold on.

Reply to
Jim Walker

I agree 100 percent - out of the box, you should get a working wireless network without many issues. Change things only when you absolutely NEED to change things, but don't reinvent the wheel. Usually, most issues are solved by downloading an updated driver from the manufacturer.

So before jumping on the Net and reading newsgroup postings about how to setup a network:

1) Just install the darn thing and see what happens; 2) If you are having an issue, go to the company's website - it's likely a new driver is out there for you to install that will solve your problem.

Once it works, then you can go through your setups to do things like enable security, etc.

Reply to
Tom K

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.