Will this setup do what I think it will?

Hi all,

I have a Linksys WRT54GL upstairs sharing the net and connecting various systems (PCs, Laptops, PDAs Wired and WiFi) for file sharing.

I want to convert a room into a PC workshop downstairs and will need net access. Can I buy a WRT54G (Preferring to keep all Linksys), flash it to

3rd party firmware and use it to recieve the wireless signal and pump it out via the 4 LAN ports on the back?

I'm asking about this scenario as I don't feel I want to go drilling holes in an asbestos-filled ceiling!

Thanks,

Tesla

Reply to
Tesla
Loading thread data ...

Yes, but buy another WRT54GL and flash DD-WRT to it. Put that box in client bridge and input your SSID and key for the router you want to connect to.

ADair

Reply to
Adair Winter

What is wrong with your current setup? Can you not receive a wireless signal from the upstairs wireless router? If so and unless I missed something, your current setup *should* do what you want.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

Ah yes, that's one thing I forgot to mention. I will be re-locating a server down to this room and will have up to 2 engineer PCs in the same room. As it will be a PC workshop, it will mean I will have other PCs in the room that are not mine and so would a) not want to have to buy wiresless adapters for each system and b) if the systems I am wokring on are not mine which is nearly 100% likely, I would preffer not to have to install adapters in them just to get net access.

Thanks for the replies so far :-)

Reply to
Tesla

Yes. You can get another WRT54G and flash DD-WRT (3rd party firmware). This will give you the ability to turn the new router into a wireless bridge with the 4-port capability. Visit

formatting link
for info. I just did this with my v5 WRT54G router using the micro version of DD-wrt.

Reply to
jch

On 2007-09-30, Tesla intrigued me by typing:

Oh, okay. I get the picture now (smile) and yes, an additional WRT54G will work in your setup with or without 3rd party firmware. Take care.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

"Tesla" writes: (snip)

(snip)

It's easy to configure OpenWRT as a transparent wireless/wired bridge. Probably the other third-party ones too. You can also even use WDS to link wired networks wirelessly if that sort of thing appeals.

Yes, I'd be amazed if you couldn't do what you want here.

Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.