Phone wire central connection

I just read an old message, from this group, discussing the use of connection blocks for the phone lines.

My plan, up to this point, was to install RJ11, OR RJ45 distribution blocksin my main wiring box, and simply plug each phone/network wire into a distribution jack. Is there something wrong with this approach? I've never used punch down blocks, but I am a big believer in being able to easily isolate sections of any kind of networkfor trouble shooting purposes. The punch down block approach does not look like it lends itself to this. Is it just the cost savings that this method has to recommend it?

Dennis ,

Reply to
Dennis
Loading thread data ...

wrong, punch block makes it easy to trouble shoot. just pull the bridge clips to isolate trouble.

Is it just the cost savings that this method has

no, not just.

Reply to
Cam

You are correct that the centralized approach has some advantages. Isolating problems is one, and if you have DSL, you can use only ONE filter for the whole house except the line going to the DSL modem.

Most of the jack fields I've seen that you have described use "110" punch down blocks to wire.

Reply to
RoughRider

It's not something wrong per se, but you may find it's neater and easier to support, not to mention a bit cheaper to use a punch block. Many folks use a combination block to facilitate cable swapping and diagnostic work. The block has punch pins on top and a row of RJ11 or RJ45 connectors on the side. All field wiring is terminated on the punch downs. Short cables with plugs on each end are used to connect the various runs to desired services.

Here's an example of such a device from OnQ:

formatting link
This one is from Leviton:
formatting link
There are many makes and models available from numerous local and online sources (including yours truly:)).

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cam, I wasn't aware of "bridge clips". Being unfamiliar with the punch down blocks, my impression was of a series of parallel strips with multiple wire punch down points on each strip. I obviously need to get better informed as to exactly what they are, and can do, before making a decision.

Thanks Dennis

Cam wrote:

Reply to
Dennis

Robert,

"neater and easier", That is one of the key points I had in mind with my approach. I'll take a closer look at those combination blocks.

"field wiring is terminated on the punch downs. Short cables with plugs on each

Thanks again for the ideas.

Dennois

Robert L Bass wrote:

Reply to
Dennis

Punch blocks come in several flavors. 66 blocks (primarily used for telephone rather than data) can be had with 50 rows (ie, 25 pairs). The rows consist either of 6 pins, all connected, 1 free pin next to 5 connected pins or two groups of 4 pins. The so-called split blocks use bridging clips, which are simple metal spring clips to connect them together.

Most of the time data blocks are of the 110 variety. These are more densely packed than the 66 to maintain CAT5 or greater standards. Conventional 66 blocks are typically rated for CAT3 (telco stuff).

All of these devices require a punch tool to make the connections and cut off excess wire. There are different heads for punching 66 and 110 type blocks. Also, the heads are usually reversible. One side punches down and cuts the excess whereas the other side punches down the wire but leaves the free end connected. This is usually used for multiplying telco connections to more than one row.

The following link takes you to a page that discusses 66 and 110 blocks at length. There are lots of close-up photos and explanations of several different wiring schemes.

formatting link
Here are tutorials in PDF from Leviton, one of the larger manufacturers of 66 and 110 blocks, as well as lots of other cool stuff.

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

My pleasure. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

take my word for it it'll make it easier in the long run for sure, just need to find the right one for your applications. rlb has it expained preety well so good luck.

Reply to
Slim

Robert,

Thanks for the brief overview and the links. They should be of great help.

Dennis

Robert L Bass wrote:

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
Dennis

No problem. If you need any of this stuff let me know. I carry a number of the major brands though not everything is listed online yet.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.