Looking for a vendor who handles older telecom equipment (See post for details)

Hello! For the work I do, (See website

formatting link
for details), I need to find a gizmo that typically kept the company of the older slower speed modems during the heyday of the dialup line period. These devices were typically wired with modems for 1800 Baud to sometimes as slower as 600 Baud. Supposedly according to what I can remember the phone company insisted on their use to balance the line. They rapidly became obsolete about the time the 2400 Baud modem became a definite standard and were completely gone by the time the 9600 Baud devices were used.

Essentially I need to find a vendor in my area NYC plus Westchester Co, and CT and NJ who would want to sell me one or two of these devices, plus assorted power supplies and maybe a few other items.

And now the reason: Every few years a customer comes to me who wants me to study the behavior of his dialup service and suggests building a model of the line layout. Strange yes, but he's paying me for the hardware and such like.

-- Gregg gregg dot drwho8 atsign gmail dot com "This signature is not available for comment."

Reply to
gregg dot drwho8 atsign gmail
Loading thread data ...

Are you asking about an Data Access Arrangement (DAA)?

Reply to
Rod Dorman

Hello! I don't think so. I mean I'm trying to recall the name of the thing. And can't at the moment. I believe it might have been a DAA unit, except it sat in a container that was designed by the phone company for their modems. I can't recal the actual name. However, I believe you may be right. Do you actually have one or two of these things? And can supply a digital photo of the thing? (Not to this group. You can e-mail me it.)

-- Gregg gregg dot drwho8 atsign gmail dot com

Reply to

The classic Bell (or Western Electric) DAA circa 1970 was a wall-mounted unit with a gray plastic cover. Two models, 2 wire manual dial/answer or 8 (IIRC) wire auto-answer. Test switch on top. Had an associated telephone with exclusion key for manual dialing (these were pre-Hayes AT modem days). In Bell operating co areas they would only have been WECO units, probably hard to find today.

--reed

Reply to
Reed

Hello! Thank you sir! Then that confirms that sure as taxes it isn't a WECO DAA. And your right the only modems I can think of for dial serviced services, were other company modems, and not as good as the Hayes ones were right up to about a few years ago. (Including the WECO modems themselves!)

I would say it certainly isn't that thing but the next item in the list of devices. I should also remind all of us that it was dressed in the same case as the modem next to it.

-- Gregg gregg dot drwho8 atsign gmail dot com

Reply to

well, the one device I can think of that looked the same as the attached modem was the Bell/WECO 829 used to interface a Bell/WECO Dataphone series modem to a non-dial, leased line. It provided several line-balancing, level-setting and loopback functions

Some Dataphone models, IIRC the 300 or 1200 bps models used the same brushed aluminum and black plastic case. The 4800 & 9600 Dataphones were physically larger than the 829 but same design.

--reed

Reply to
Reed

Hello! That might be it. However I remember almost always seeing the thing standing next to a 1800 bps device. I believe the 829 type might be exactly the one thing I am looking for. So? Any idea as to who would be carrying the thing in its inventories? I grant you that this is extremely peculiar, very peculiar indeed. To be honest, I am not sure as to why, but this item might actually be the clue to sorting out why I keep bumping into things that are preventing my successfully solving this problem. I've been told that they are sometimes seen at Hamfests. Would anybody on this list follow that area of technology?

-- Gregg gregg.drwho8 atsign gmail dot com

Reply to

Hello,

I go to Hamfests, you might find it there at one or Not.

Stuff that shows up depends on what's in the basement or what the wife just tripped over, or it is there, hamfest after hamfest. I have seen at the same hamfest, DeMil'ed Crypto gear and a TV remote truck.

Unless you are prepared to go to more than a couple, you may have better luck searching Ebay for it.

Fredb

gregg dot drwho8 atsign gmail dot com wrote:

Reply to
fredb

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.