homemade test set

I have an old home made "test system" that was made by my father, a test set designer for Western Electric PBX, in about 1969. It was given to me for Christmas and was called a "Computer". I now have a 5 year old son and he wants me to get this working again.

The first problem I am having is that I was a real boy and took it apart and lost some of the wires, and broke off some of the connections when I was young.

The second problem is that my father pasted away 3 years ago and we did not fix it before he got sick.

The third is that I have not worked on circuits for far to many years.

What this did was when the dial was turned it would light one of 10 lights across the top.

The test system has a 45 volt battery a western electric dial and a circuit board. The circuit board has 10 identical components. It looks like a resistor, to a transistor from there to a capacitor then to a diode and then to another capacitor. The first lights ground is hooked to all the other lights and to the dial on the Y terminal then the other side of the light is connected to the circuit. The BK terminal looks to go to the start of the circuit board. The BB terminal looks like there was a wire there, but none are connected. I can not find where the power should be connected, or where the ground should be connected.

Please help me, my Son is driving me nuts and I can not believe I broke this and never asked for help to fix it.

Reply to
rsnella
Loading thread data ...

Well, this is a pretty tall order! But it sounds interesting... Sort of like diagnosing the Apollo 13 situation but without looking at the books!

Do you have any close up and detailed photos of the "Computer"? Did this gizmo work on 110vac (a wall outlet) or did it have a battery? Were there only two wires connected to the dial? How about the lamps? Would you recognize them as typical key set lights (#51A, I think) or were they some sort of switchboard lamp (or would you know)? Any other switches on the "computer" front panel. Do you recall what happened when you operated the dial? (That is did certain lamps flash? Did a lamp light corresponding to the number you dialed?) Any noisemakers associated with this? (that is, bells, buzzers or the like)

Let us know!

Al

Reply to
Al Gillis

I have a diagram and some photos posted at

formatting link

The system works off 1 45 volt battery. I do not know what type of lamps it uses, but the sockets are in the photos.

There is a Western Electric Bell attached to a button for some sound. There is a missing speaker, mic and botton for a push to talk system. I think the cirucit is missing also.

Any Help would be great.

Thanks,

Russ

Reply to
rsnella

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.