+1611

Where I live, it is possible to setup a call to virtually any destination number using the format

[+] 1 - 611 - [NPA] - [NXX] - [XXXX]

After an average of ten (10) unsuccessful attempts -- all diverted to intercept recording that references "0 7 7 P" at the end -- calls will ring through !

These calls do not get billed, when using prepaid phone and activated SIM. If there are minutes on the balance, none are deducted when using this +1611 code; even with balance of $0.00 (!!!), calls are completed when dialing with the sequence. For the life of me, I cannot figure out WHY this works -- though I have vague ideas why it might be useful... For example, in the case of national emergencies, etc.

• Anyone help me out with this ? * Is there an authority or book I can refer to to further my understanding ? * What division of my mobile phone service provider would be best to ask about this oddball code ?

Doesn't even make sense to me following the numbering plan information I'm familiar with. Is there a reason it would be routed as an international call ? Is it related to what apparently used to be called "Choke" prefix (contest code) ? "Priority access code" (emergency preparedness type of thing) ?

It has been used for years, locally; some people, whose opinions i don't respect, have mentioned it in a network routing sense and associate it with satellites (LBS ? E911 ? !

[*Nota bene: Having already posted this question to
formatting link
and other such forums, feedback from others has been limited to this type: "tried this over and over, didn't work! this guy's pulling our leg!" So -- a cautionary word: don't waste your time trying if you're not in or around Portland, OR]
Reply to
Anvil Dropping
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.