Weak Caller ID signal [telecom]

I have an Apple USB Modem (it's a dongle). I use it with a program only to display Caller ID information for incoming calls. However, it only indicates correctly for calls I place to my phone from my 2nd (fax) line. Otherwise, it reports the rings, but no caller ID information or an error code. Other caller ID devices on my line work fine. I went to the Apple Store and got a replacement modem. Identical problem. Other users of the Apple USB modem have posted similar complaints.

So, apparently it's a level-sensitive design issue, although I don't know why making a call using my second line would affect that -- it must be very close to working.

Is there a way the phone company can "boost" the caller ID information when they send it? Any other suggestions on fixing this?

Reply to
fuzzy_mat
Loading thread data ...

wrote

No.

Remove other devices from the line. Have the line checked for obvious faults. Distance from the CO could be a factor.

As a test, connect the modem to your "fax" line and disconnect everything else from it. That should give you an idea if you have any chance of getting it to work.

***** Moderator's Note *****

Since you're able to see the caller ID when you call the line from another telephone number in your home, you should check to see what the _calling_ phone is changing when it's off hook (I'm assuming that it's a two-line phone). In other words, it might be a problem with the ringer and/or other parts of the _calling_ phone that aren't in the circuit when it's off hook.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

(Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!)

Reply to
Who Me?

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.