VOIP FAQ? [Telecom]

Is there a good FAQ somewhere for getting started in VOIP development? What I would like to know, is, if I have VOIP coming into a router in my house, couldn't I theoretically get those packets and pop that onto a Linux box for doing call logging or web based phone service? Do different VOIP vendors use the same network protocol?

Reply to
stork
Loading thread data ...

Good question.

Sure. The usual software is the Asterisk open source PBX.

Other than Skype, they all use SIP for call setup and one of a small set of codecs for the voice connection.

R's, John

Reply to
John Levine

Some few use H.323 or a proprietary format. IIRC, the IP phone service the Cable providers used to supply was Megaco or MGCP.

------------------------ Hank Karl Eastern Regional Manager

formatting link
me at
formatting link
-- use the eastern region adress

***** Moderator's Note *****

A. Because it confuses the logical flow of an online conversation. Q. Why is top-posting bad?

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Please put [Telecom] at the end of your subject line, or I may never see your post! Thanks!

We have a new address for email submissions: telecomdigestmoderator atsign telecom-digest.org. This is only for those who submit posts via email: if you use a newsreader or a web interface to contribute to the digest, you don't need to change anything.

Reply to
Hank Karl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.