Vtech Caller ID Not Working

I have a Vtech 20-2481 2.4 GHz Gigaphone two-line base unit with three handsets. Until a few days ago, I had a two-line cord (RJ-45?) running into the base unit's Line 1 + Line 2 jack. Last year I got rid of the phone number that had been coming in on Line 1, but Line 2 continued to work just fine.

The other day I replaced the phone cord with a one-line cord (RJ-11?) running into the Line 2 jack. I pushed a splitter into the wall jack and plugged the other end of the cord into the splitter's Line 2 output. Everything is fine now *except* that the Caller ID function has quit. The caller is no longer identified, and no record is kept in the call history.

I switched back to the earlier configuration and the Caller ID came back. Then I returned to the one-line cord, and Caller ID vanished again. The same is true when I plug the cord into the Line 1 jack on the base unit instead of the Line 2 jack.

The reason I switched to a one-line cord is that I want to use the Line 1 input for my new VoIP connection. That doesn't have anything to do with the problem, though, because it occurs whether or not I have the VoIP plugged into the base unit.

Any ideas on a solution?

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: Try the original (working correctly) configuration but try disconnecting it at the wall box. You obviously do not want to blow up the VOIP adapter box, but yet there seems to be something about the way caller-ID gets delivered. On a one line jack, usually the two 'middle' pins (pins 3-4 of six pins or pins 2-3 of a four pin thing) delivers the 'first' line; the 'outer' pins (usually pins 1 and 4 in a four pin plug or pins 2 and 5 of six pins) bring in the 'second' line. It may well be that 'line 1' should have been the one you kept while 'line 2' was disconnected when you took a line out. Or if you can find a 'dummy' modular head (plastic head with pins but no wire protruding) try sticking that dummy head in the line one space. I know Radio Shack sells the little dummy heads, mostly they are for guys who are building their own wiring setups, but you don't need the wire, just the little pins to make contact in the phone. That's jusy my 'try it next' idea. PAT]
Reply to
Harlan Messinger
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.